Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
JB

Does anyone here know how to drive powerpoint?

I'm trying to create a presentation in powerpoint (well actually tidying up someone else's powerpoint and making more KS1/KS2 accessible instead of KS3/KS4). They had problems with videos not working. I now have all videos working but when I send it to them they can't see any videos. If I copy the .pptx file to another machine all the videos work.

So it works on two machines here (and a third in the office) so it's not that it needs extra files attached other than the .pptx or depends on the path on which it is installed. So why might they not be able to see it?

Any help would be gratefully received.
Hairyloon

I really did not get on with Powerpoint at Uni. They had one version in one computer room and another version in another, and for whatever stupid reason, M$ had changed the file format between versions, so the document looked completely different on each computer. Mad
Nick

You can tell them to open as other versions to solve that, simply.

Does the other person have the correct codecs to play the video format you've included?

Sometimes links to videos break. I had to recreate one the other day for a trade show, so try reinserting the video, and see if that fixes it, assuming she can play the video in isolation.
JB

So basically I should give up on power point and do the presentation through the medium of mime?

Or more realistically I've just realised that microsoft have a free powerpoint viewer which seems to work, or at least it worked on all my machines, whether it works on the target machines remains to be discovered.
vegplot

I've had video problems with Powerpoint before and they all turned out to be codec issues where the host machine is not configured to playback videos encoded with that particular codec.
JB

That was my first thought so I had turned all the videos into .avi, I've never yet found a windows machine which couldn't play avi (well perhaps win3.1 but that's not a target platform) with no success.
Nick

So basically I should give up on power point and do the presentation through the medium of mime?

Of, course, there's no need to do that. But, frankly, I heartily endorse it as a policy.
Hairyloon

interprative dance may be better...
mark

Safest way is to put your media files and powerpoint in same folder - then check it works on your computer . Then transfer entire folder to the other computer.

If a video doesn't play try opening media file direct on the other computer.

Will it play OK - if it does then then you know you need to fiddle with ppt settings. If it doesn't then look at what codecs are installed in their player.

Other areas to check is what version of ppt you are writing in and what version they are watching in. If they are watching in an earlier version save as the older version of ppt and send them that after saving and watching it.

If it works in machines in your office but not outside you may have saved media files on a shared network that you all have access to and they don't!
mark

oh just one more off the wall thing .. I think when ppt plays media their is a character string length limit on on the media player - so if the filepath is too long it can't find it.

If this is the problem, having having the foldeer with the presentation and media files in the the C:\folder instead of C:\users\name\something\10 million directories with long names \ etc might sort it
joanne

I know you've probably checked this but does the PC in question have access to the videos properly? I've had problems in the past because of firewalls etc. so now if it's a youtube video I always pull it down and save it locally using this http://www.clipconverter.cc/
JB

Access to the videos should not be an issue as the videos are embedded in the .pptx file. Though a bit of googling suggests that might be the reason, it seems that early versions of powerpoint don't like embedded video in which case it may be only showing the first frame and then giving up.
mark

Access to the videos should not be an issue as the videos are embedded in the .pptx file. Though a bit of googling suggests that might be the reason, it seems that early versions of powerpoint don't like embedded video in which case it may be only showing the first frame and then giving up.

Sound like that is it ! Save the video in the same folder - save in an older ppt format NOT pptx and you should be sorted!
buzzy

Of, course, there's no need to do that. But, frankly, I heartily endorse it as a policy.

Indeed. Anything that reduces the number of powerpoint presentations at large in the world has to be a Good Thing.

Henry
Nick

So, so true. JB

In my defence, we use powerpoint because it's what the first person used to create the presentation and it's a useful way to contain videos. I'm currently going through the presentation and removing every bullet point and most of the animations (apart from some which make a spaceship fly past). All the bullet point text and data has either gone to a speakers notes screen or linked to an animation which can be launched if the speaker wants to, so each slide gets an 'extra information' icon which can be shown if we want to.

All of which really means that it would probably be better done in HTML5 but I have no experience with that and people seem to go on about browser incompatibilities.
mark

There is nothing wrong with powerpoint., or Libre Office Impress or Prezi's. They are just tools!

Just because some unimaginative people with no teaching skills use them just cos they came on their computer doesn't mean they can't be used with flare to create riveting presentations.

Owning a paint brush does not make you an artist ! If you want to give presentations learn the arts of communication!
vegplot

Have you tried publishing the presentation rather than simply given them the PP file? buzzy

Just because some unimaginative people with no teaching skills use them just cos they came on their computer doesn't mean they can't be used with flare to create riveting presentations.

That may be so, indeed I hope it is. But I've yet to see a riveting powerpoint presentation. Crying or Very sad

I have sat through countless dire ones. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Henry
Nick

That may be so, indeed I hope it is. But I've yet to see a riveting powerpoint presentation. Crying or Very sad

I have sat through countless dire ones. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Henry

Yes. This. Mark's right. It is just a tool, but so is a gun. I wouldn't let most people take up my time with those, either.
vegplot

I've seen a good one.

It was given by a student at C.A.T. He simply used a series of whole screen high quality interesting photographs nicely timed to appear with each sub topic. Not once did he refer to the images during the talk, they simply added eye candy and subliminal context. The overall effect was very impressive and made what could have been a dull talk very interesting.
JB

I've seen a good one.

It was given by a student at C.A.T. He simply used a series of whole screen high quality interesting photographs nicely timed to appear with each sub topic. Not once did he refer to the images during the talk, they simply added eye candy and subliminal context. The overall effect was very impressive and made what could have been a dull talk very interesting.

Kind of what I want to get to. I want to have a succession of slides containing nothing more than an image (rotating sometimes) and one or two title words. Whether the presentation is any good ultimately comes down to the speaker.
mark

I've seen a good one.

Yes that is mainly what I do - adding eyecatching visuals to my words !

But its also great to leave quotations up after you have used them for people to digest .

I work with Deaf people so I include videos of other Deaf people signing stuff

I like to use art and things I have seen to illustrate what I say. I'd love to carry a big Canvas into the room but projecting it is the next best thing

Maps are useful - so sometimes are visual timelines for reflection and for planning ! A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes so using ppt (well usually Impress in my case) can reduce the time I need to speak for often by half or more!

Even classical use of ppt can be Ok sometimes if done with humour - after all Dave Gorman IS Goodish !!

But I do agree - too many people have nothing to say and are asked to present to they use ppt to woffle and extend the time they have to say nothing !
mark

I've seen a good one.

Yes that is mainly what I do - adding eyecatching visuals to my words !

But its also great to leave quotations up after you have used them for people to digest .

I work with Deaf people so I include videos of other Deaf people signing stuff

I like to use art and things I have seen to illustrate what I say. I'd love to carry a big Canvas into the room but projecting it is the next best thing

Maps are useful - so sometimes are visual timelines for reflection and for planning ! A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes so using ppt (well usually Impress in my case) can reduce the time I need to speak for often by half or more!

Even classical use of ppt can be Ok sometimes if done with humour - after all Dave Gorman IS Goodish !!

But I do agree - too many people have nothing to say and are asked to present to they use ppt to woffle and extend the time they have to say nothing !
Nick

Or, even say it twice.

Sorry, but it was an open goal.
mark

OK Nick I won't wont you posts in this thread ..
or check how much useful info each of them contributed! Wink
vegplot

Whether the presentation is any good ultimately comes down to the speaker.

Indeed.
Nick

OK Nick I won't wont you posts in this thread ..
or check how much useful info each of them contributed! Wink

Do you have a picture that makes any sense? Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home