Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Blue Sky

Doryphores! (Colorado beetle)

Just found first one of the season.

Best get out there with your jamjars if you're on the continent. Smile

T.G

ooo when i was a girl i recall seeing posters in Norfolk stating if seen ring this number ..... whatever the number was back then ... likewanted posters for bandits (except bandits posters never had a phone number Rolling Eyes) ... i watch a lot of cowboy movies as a girl
mousjoos

we had them posters in Essex when I were a lad
Blue Sky

You will have the f3ccing real thing there in SWF soon if you are growing spuds .... Wink
Bulgarianlily

jamjars? I just use two rocks, what do you do with the jam jars?
sean

Bulgarianlily wrote:
jamjars? I just use two rocks,

Isn't that for camels?
mousjoos

Blue Sky wrote:
You will have the f3ccing real thing there in SWF soon if you are growing spuds .... Wink

so far, we've been lucky... but I know folks here who haven't
Blue Sky

Thousands of them here now. We have always been pretty lucky but this year despite picking off the adults and 'jamjaring' them we now have thousands of the little red larvae. Not sure what to do really. The neighbours reckon spray but we don't normally do that. It's probably too late in any case as most of the leaves are already perforated on most plants. I can suffer one year without spuds but if this is the start of an ongoing problem we may be stuffed as the spuds are our staple.

Is it just a bad year due to the long hot dry spell?

(question aimed at continental growers, for obvious reasons)
ksia

It is the weather for 'em at the moment. I squished 3 pre-adults (term?) yesterday. We've squished in the past when we've had 'em. Daily inspections, under all leafs. Getting the eggs is the most important.
Blue Sky

ksia wrote:
Daily inspections, under all leafs. Getting the eggs is the most important.

Yeah, I can see that but daily inspections is alot of work when you grow as many spuds as we do. I wouldn't mind buying them from the shop to tide us over if they weren't so inferior. Home-grown spuds are so much better than clean-polyester-net-clad tubers from the supermarket. Sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home