Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Marionb

Double Tagging of Sheep

I was at my parents today and noticed a booklet there about double tagging - unfortunately didnt have time to read it all but I got the gist that its become law and all breeding ewes, rams etc have to be double tagged now Rolling Eyes although lambs sold for meat before they are a year old only need the one tag.

Two questions spring to mind:-

a. Is it ok if the two tags have different numbers - they will both have the same UK number but is it ok if they have different numbers on the underside of the tag? I would assume so but anything is possible with this government.....

and following on from this. if the answer to the above is yes they can have different numbers......

b. The blue tags are no longer needed so would it be ok to use them as the second tag? They have the UK number on - surely it wouldnt matter that they were blue?

These could be daft questions but like I said I havent had time to read through the booklet yet.
Pea

From what I understand they need to be the same in both ears, which will be interesting as my sheep only have small ears.
VSS

UK tags can be any colour except red. Red is for R tags only, that is replacements where the origional identity cannot be verified.
Initially tag all sheep with two identical tags, bearing same UK and individual number, but if a tag is lost it can be replaced with a tag with same UK number but different individual number, provided numbers are cross referenced in your record book. Slightly different rule for bought in sheep.
Numbers are issued automatically by DEFRA when you order tags.

Suggest you read booklet thoroughly, as its law now, and applies to 2008 lamb crop.
Pea

So this years lambs will be wearing 3 tags if they register with the Balwen people.

Job creation I feel for the defra people Rolling Eyes
VSS

Pea wrote:
So this years lambs will be wearing 3 tags if they register with the Balwen people.

Job creation I feel for the defra people Rolling Eyes

Many breed societies are beginning to use UK number for registration purposes, which actually simplifies things no end, as every one garaunteed unique.
If Balwens choose to continue with own system, then yes, 3 tags for each lamb.
Marionb

My Dad sorts out all the tags etc (our sheep are under his flock no.).

But its going to be impossible to have identical tags in both ears as you order them in 50's or 100's..... his sheep have numbers ranging from 23, 43 up to a few with 2-- numbers, 3-- and currently on 5-- numbers.

From now on, then, 2 lots of identical tags can be bought which is fine but it doesnt help with matching up the ones already in the sheeps ears!!

And yes I am going to read more of that booklet!!! Wish I'd had time to read more today!
Nicky cigreen

the booklet is available on line at Defra site here
Marionb

Thanks for that info VSS - put my mind at rest - I have had a quick look at the DEFRA regs but need to print them off to read them properly which I cant do till I'm in work on Monday.
VSS

Marionb wrote:

From now on, then, 2 lots of identical tags can be bought which is fine but it doesnt help with matching up the ones already in the sheeps ears!!

The new legislation only applies to sheep born after 11th January 2008. You do not need to double tag older sheep.
Marionb

Hmmmm where's VSS's post gone? Confused

Edit.....Now thats very strange - how can my reply appear above the post it is referring to?? The gremlins must be at work.... Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home