Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Nick

Downloading an article.

I want to download one of the articles, to email to someone. Is that possible (it's my article; I don't have a copy)?

Cheers
tahir

There used to be a little "send" icon didn't there?
Nick

Certainly can't see it now.
tahir

Me neither
tahir

There's not even a print option
12Bore

Screen grab?
Jamanda

In the absence of anyone techier around, I just tried C&Ping into Word which seemed to work, photos and all.
vegplot

Re: Downloading an article.

Anything wrong with emailing them a link to the article?
Nick

Happy for them to see the article. Not sure I require their presence here. Smile
Barefoot Andrew

The send/print icons were taken down during the revamp - they didn't fit with the new design.
A.
tahir

That's a pain, any way of getting them back?
vegplot

Design taking precedent over content and functionality! Whatever next?
Barefoot Andrew

File -> Print is a mere two mouse clicks instead of one...

Copy/pasting the link in the browser address bar not much more arduous either...

At no point during the design discussions did anyone flag this up...

Just saying'.
A.
tahir

File -> Print is a mere two mouse clicks instead of one...

Doesn't do the same though does it? It'll print whatever's on screen won't it?
Barefoot Andrew

True enough.

The email and print icons have been turned back on. In the original design idea the vertical alignment of the main heading mattered, but that need has since passed. So it makes no odds if the heading is slightly lower down the page than before.
A.
tahir

Neither option fulfills Nick's need, he'd need to print it to a PDF convertor like CutePDF to do what he wants
sean

Don't think there was ever a button/function to do that. Jamanda's C&P the whole lot into Word is prolly the best bet then.
tahir

Don't think there was ever a button/function to do that.

Nope

Quote:
Jamanda's C&P the whole lot into Word is prolly the best bet then.

Prolly, didn't try that though
Barefoot Andrew

There was a PDF option - and I've just turned it back on. However, it shouldn't be relied upon - I *think* it generates buggy Postscript.
A.
tahir

Just brings up a blank window for me. sean

Seems to work here but loses the pics. Barefoot Andrew

IMHO the PDF option isn't at all useful and should remain off.
A.
tahir

Agree sean

It does seem a bit pointless to me really. email and print are fair enough but if pdf doesn't actually work properly then it's useless. Nick

Don't think there was ever a button/function to do that. Jamanda's C&P the whole lot into Word is prolly the best bet then.

This is where I think I'll end up.

Thanks. Didn't mean to be a pain. Smile
Barefoot Andrew

The email option seems similarly pointless to me. I don't see how copy-pasting an email address into the form that pops up is any more labour-saving that copy-pasting an article URL into an email.

I can see the value of print though. I'd prefer to ditch the icon and simply have something like 'print this article' or somesuch where the icon goes.

A.
tahir

Agree Jamanda

Yep - I'm sure the only one I ever used is print, but I have used that a few times. Same on recipes. sean

Sorry, I hadn't realized what the email option did. Agree that it's useless. Barefoot Andrew

The PDF and email icons have gorn.
A.
Nick

Print makes sense. I could print it onna bit of paper, or to a file, I could edit.

Thanks.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home