Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
gz

downloading from camera to laptop problem

Has been working no problem for 11 months, just taken two pics and went to download....
they are on the camera screen, but don't appear on the computer screen.

I am getting heartily sick of technology problems Sad Mad
oldish chris

If it once worked, and the hardware and software are still the same, personally, I'd blame the operator.

I still have happy memories of a particularly arrogant programmer getting very cross that the computer stopped working half-way through printing out the listing of a very important program. The delight and ecstasy of pointing to the "paper-out" light still gives me a warm glow inside.

I've got a cpu-graph plugin on my desktop to let me know if something is happening. Did anything happen?

The second time you try don't you get a "Replace or over-write" type message?
gz

No, it works as advertised, doing everything as normal. I've re-checked just now....connect camera by usb cable to laptop, menu comes up on camera screen,click ok to "storage".
on Files on laptop, click on 16GB volume.....on screen click on DCIM then 100Olympus grey squares with JPEG(number) come up, which then transform into thumbnails.

All OK, so it is reading everything.....except the two images taken this year.

Checked date and time on camera, all fine.

So the operator is working ok Confused
derbyshiredowser

I have an SD card slot on the laptop and take the card out of the camera and put it directly in the sd slot. It seems an easier way to do it on windows 7, it may help, possibly worth a try?. We were having it the other way as we couldn't see the pictures on the lumix camera but they were downloading onto the laptop ok as above.
Hairyloon

Yes, it might be worth a try taking the card out.
Maybe the new pictures are on the camera's internal memory. We've had a similar glitch when that happened.
oldish chris

Maybe the new pictures are on the camera's internal memory. We've had a similar glitch when that happened.
you trying to blame it on the camera operator? Wink
Hairyloon

you trying to blame it on the camera operator? Wink
I think ours was a hardware glitch. For some reason it wasn't reading the card when the picture was taken.
gz

Unfortunately no slot for SD cards on this laptop Mad

Tried taking a new image....still no go

Put a new SD card in.....its working again.

Why would a SD card stop accepting new images if it still has 6GB+ of space?

At least we're in business again , but it will be nice to find the answer to this....to avoid it happening again. At least I can re-take the "lost" images
Hairyloon

Does the camera have an internal memory?
Take out the card and see if the camera still has any pictures on it.
vegplot

You may need to reformat the SD so both the OS and camera can read/write to it. It's possible the SD has reached end of life, they only have limited writes before they start to lose sectors after which they will misbehave or stop working.
Nick

I tend to treat all temporary memory as disposable, with an indeterminate lifespan. As vp says, it might just have run out of life. gz

Does the camera have an internal memory?
Take out the card and see if the camera still has any pictures on it.

apparently not
gz

You may need to reformat the SD so both the OS and camera can read/write to it. It's possible the SD has reached end of life, they only have limited writes before they start to lose sectors after which they will misbehave or stop working.

So that would be from manufacture date,not date I started using it? (11 months)
Nick

They're cheap, mass produced things. Yes, it might be dead. It might be a manufacturing quality issue, it might be luck, it might be how you've handled it, or stored it, or what the camera or other devices have done to it, if it is dead, or dying. gz

Sometimes I wish I could return to film cameras.....maybe....and even there everything has a shelf life.... vegplot

So that would be from manufacture date,not date I started using it? (11 months)

Generally from the time it's first used although nothing is certain. Cheap SSD will, in general, have a shorter life than more expensive brands. Mostly.

My general rule with such things if it starts to play up bin it.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

SD cards are about as long-lived as pheasants. I killed my last one by dropping the phone it was in! mousjoos

SD cards are about as long-lived as pheasants. I killed my last one by dropping the phone it was in!

how big is your phone if it can house a pheasant ?
Treacodactyl

Are you sure the pics are not on the card or camera? Have you run a search or looked for another directory? (I have a camera that seems to randomly create a new folder every so often). kGarden

I have an SD card in a photo-screen thingie. Stopped working a few days ago. I can plug the SD card in my laptop and see all the pictures on it, but it doesn't work on the photo-screen. Reformatted the SD card and re-copied all the pictures to it, all fine on the Laptop - not the photo-screen.

New SD card, works fine on both.

I have no idea why ...
Tavascarow

Are you sure the pics are not on the card or camera? Have you run a search or looked for another directory? (I have a camera that seems to randomly create a new folder every so often). That was going to be my advice.
Or they might have been inadvertently stored elsewhere on the laptop.
If you know the file numbers easy to search the hard drive(s).
Nick

Or, just search by date.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home