Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
jema

Downsizer bags

A downsizer bag as a carrier bag replacement has been talked about on and off for months. A variety of things has stopped it getting to fruitition so far.

But to try and get near the completion of the process, I'd like to do a straw poll of what would interest people?

Obviously any bag we do, will be ethically sourced, and reasonably priced, the aim is only to cover costs, reduce carrier bag usage and give us publicity.
Treacodactyl

A small cotton bag I can keep in my pocket is also ideal for carrying with me for foraging. Very Happy
jema

Treacodactyl wrote:
A small cotton bag I can keep in my pocket is also ideal for carrying with me for foraging. Very Happy

I can see advantages to both, but I am also in that camp. Fiddlesticks had an excellent one of these at the picnic, and it folded up ever so small and conveniently. I could see have a couple of these in a pocket.
2steps

both would be good but personally I'd prefer a bag I can keep with me always. Mostly I shop for small amounts at a time and it'd be good for cayying things home from school and foraging Very Happy
Res

The carrier bag size is very convenient and something most of us are not only used to using but also being creative in their uses, so cotton bag for me Very Happy
nettie

I vote for the big strong bag, because the places I'll use it (farmer's markets, farm shop etc) will be places where likeminded people will be most likely to see the logo. I don't much see the point in getting them printed if they're going to be in people's pockets half the time!
Bernie66

nettie wrote:
I vote for the big strong bag, because the places I'll use it (farmer's markets, farm shop etc) will be places where likeminded people will be most likely to see the logo. I don't much see the point in getting them printed if they're going to be in people's pockets half the time!

So eloquently put, and so right! Laughing
Lozzie

I would happily pay money for one of each. I use diffrent bags for different things - normally go out with something small in my pocket but often use large bags when taking drums and instruments to gigs.
nora

I voted for the small one, but agree with Lozzie and would prefer both types if that would be possible. Any chance of them being available in time for christmas?
Nanny

downsizer bag

i would go for the big one...

i have a fairly substantial canvass bag that folds up fairly small. i use it in tesco (sorry, did i use a nasty word) and also for farmers markets etc. i find in invaluable..........

you could do a choice i guess

the downsizer shopper "spread the word in the supermarket"

the downsizer forager "never be caught out on a food for free sortie"

both could perhaps have the logo and downsizer.net on them
footprints

Re: Downsizer bags

jema wrote:
A downsizer bag as a carrier bag replacement has been talked about on and off for months. A variety of things has stopped it getting to fruitition so far.

But to try and get near the completion of the process, I'd like to do a straw poll of what would interest people?

Obviously any bag we do, will be ethically sourced, and reasonably priced, the aim is only to cover costs, reduce carrier bag usage and give us publicity.

Big bag,comfy handles.

Sorry if this missed the poll.
ele

There's something about going to the shops with a sturdy empty shopping bag that makes me feel like I've turned into my Mother Embarassed so I voted for collapsible. It's somehow okay when the bag is full Confused

Embarassed I'm just a bit too vain
dougal

I believe that the string bag is overdue for a comeback, but that its a lousy way of displaying a logo.

Anyway, I voted for the one you should always carry with you, just in case you should get lucky, Very Happy (even if it won't fit in your wallet Shocked Embarassed ).
otatop

I work for a charity that recently produced a load of cotton shoulder bags that fold very nicely into a pocket or handbag. Very useful for late night shopping on the way home from work. The production cost was a little less than £1 each - with logo. My church is doing hessian bags - but they don't fold up so nicely to keep in a pocket or handbag.
Lloyd

I imagine carrier bags are the size they are, because it's a popular size, with regard to the weight shoppers want to carry, etc, so I'm going with public opinion, ......carrier bag size.
Gertie

I voted for the small, carrier bag type, primarily because if I was humping about a big bag full of shopping I would expect Lundy to chauffeur me home! Wink
Mrs Fiddlesticks

I've voted for the foldable sort as thats what I find most useful. I generally take a basket shopping and a couple of cotton fold up bags inside it which I then use instead of carriers. I like to have one in the car and one in pocket as then I'm prepared and can easily say no to a carrier. I also like them as project bags for craft things to keep the relevant bits altogether whilst working on them. Can't have enough cotton bags IMHO!
Northern_Lad

Any reason both can't be done?

I can see myself using both in different times.

What would be the large one made of, if the small one's cotton?

There is the problem, though, that if I always carried a cotton bag with me that I'd never get a carrier bag again and need to go out and buy bin bags. Confused
Mrs Fiddlesticks

Northern_Lad wrote:

There is the problem, though, that if I always carried a cotton bag with me that I'd never get a carrier bag again and need to go out and buy bin bags. Confused

We were discussing this point at the picnic. I've very few carriers left now, but I need to line the kitchen bin with something!
jema

Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

We were discussing this point at the picnic. I've very few carriers left now, but I need to line the kitchen bin with something!

Carriers have there uses. I wouldn't forage for Elderberries with a cotton bag!
Mrs Fiddlesticks

jema wrote:
Fiddlesticks Julie wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

Carriers have there uses. I wouldn't forage for Elderberries with a cotton bag!

me neither, I used a plastic box!
Helen_A

Hmmm - well re: bags for bins isn't that what neighbours are for?

TBH I'm hopeless for remembering to take cotton bags out, but very good at donating on to the local wholefood shop all the plastic ones that don't end up as bin bags, thus ensuring that they are getting at least another use or two (there are a couple of selfridges plastic bags that have been back and forth to that shop over a dozen times each now, cos the shop is keeping an eye on them, lol).

If a bag does get remembered it inevitably ends up awith all sorts of other things in it than shopping... nappies, magazone/book, flannel, wet bag.... the general detritus of havind children...)

Hmmm - could go for one for the library run though... it would get lots of use that way and be seen far and wide Smile

Helen_A
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home