Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
jema

Downsizer forum cold Turkey Friday/Saturday

My intent is to move the downsizer site to a new server late Friday, which means until the internet catches up with the change the forum will have to go offline on the "old" version so that people don't lost posts.
mochyn

I now have an image in my head of jema sarrying huge boxes of pigs, plants, jam, knitting, fungi from one room to another.
Went

mochyn wrote:
I now have an image in my head of jema sarrying huge boxes of pigs, plants, jam, knitting, fungi from one room to another.

What time does the coach leave?
dpack

hope the move is easy
frewen

I'm behind you Very Happy
sean

Is that meant to be reassuring?
frewen

Yes Laughing
sean

Fair enough then. Very Happy
jema

Probably postponing this for a week, we have a big Halloween bash tomorrow and besides that I'm not as far progressed with other things that need doing, so there is the potential of two loads hitting the fan if I do downsizer tonight Neutral
vegplot

Remember to re-set your TTL.
jema

Knocked the ttl down to 7200 earlier in the week in preparation.
jema

Just an update on this, as it never happened (yet).

Downsizer is still running on a server in the USA, albeit one that has been depopulated to a pretty extreme point.

But the server has a commercial site on it that it would have been a little nasty to run any additional risk of disruption to before xmas, and compounding this some of the Plesk control system that I use migration routines have been proving less than slick and reliable Sad

As such since the server has to be around till the new year, there was no need to move downsizer until then.

The processes are still continuing though, I have had one server shipped back to the UK and it is being installed in the new datacenter today Smile
Barefoot Andrew

jema wrote:
Plesk

Boo, hiss.
A.
jema

Tick tock, tick tock...

There are now only a few things left on the downsizer server, and just over two weeks until the next billing date.

As such Saturday is probably move day.
jema

Final bump for this, I'm going for in tomorrow morning.
Jamanda

Eeeek! How long for?
Chez

Gosh. It'll be a 'Why Don't You' morning Shocked Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

Good luck Jema! Perfect excuse to get housework done.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Chez wrote:
Gosh. It'll be a 'Why Don't You' morning Shocked Laughing

Blimey, that takes me back Very Happy
A.
lettucewoman

but....but...theres gonna be snow and pics an things to talk about an recipes and everythin' *sob*

...........good luck jema! Laughing
jema

Jamanda wrote:
Eeeek! How long for?

It is going to be a few hours possibly a bit more.
Jonnyboy

Good luck in the real world folks.
Barefoot Andrew

Jonnyboy wrote:
Good luck in the real world folks.

I know Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
A.
jema

back I hope.

The domain will get flipped to "mars.downsizer.net" until new addresses get propagated and that can take 48 hours.
jema

back I hope.

The domain will get flipped to "mars.downsizer.net" until new addresses get propagated and that can take 48 hours.
sally_in_wales

I can see you! yay Very Happy
jema

Double yay from me, there were a few panics at the last getting the "mars" thing to work.
toggle

well done
Penny Outskirts

Excellent - well done!!
jema

For the technically inclined, the server we are now on is a virtual server configured to have 8gb of ram and 4cpus. This is down on the 8 cores and 16gb we were on, but the load on the server should be more favourable, though probably with more requests being processed a second as the server is running as an "ad server" as well as running downsizer.

However being virtual I can easily increase the server power if need be.
Penny Outskirts

Ah - good Cool
judith

Hurrah.
Mary-Jane

*Whines* Are we there yet...
wellington womble

Excellent, you're back. I was reduced to sweeping the kitchen floor!
Barefoot Andrew

Glad to hear of panic-free move Very Happy And isn't virtualisation groovy?
A.
jema

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Glad to hear of panic-free move Very Happy And isn't virtualisation groovy?
A.

I luv virtualisation. I'm really looking forward to getting the old downsizer server back to the UK and split into probably 5 virtual servers.

I reckon I can get at least twice as much out of a virtialised server compared to running it normally, and it is immeasurably more convenient having sites more isolated from other sites and server processes.
Barefoot Andrew

jema wrote:
luv

Burn him! Although that might be a bit rich from someone who says 'groovy' Wink
A.
mihto

Just saw this thread for what it actually is. Embarassed

As I eat very little turkey I did not bother to read the thread earlier Embarassed Embarassed

Could not understand what had happened to Downsizer today.

Live and learn Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Penny Outskirts

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

I love the idea of eating turkey being in the Downsizer suggestions section Laughing
A.
Jonnyboy

There should be a poll as to how many times people attempted to log on whilst this place was down. I think there may have to be a 50+ poll for some of you. Wink
Penny Outskirts

Who on earth would do that.....

Embarassed

Ok it was really quiet in the shop today
jema

Another point for the techies.

A ping to the new server is about 20ms compared to 135ms on the old server and page generations times whilst too random to really get a handle on are coming in at 30% or so faster on occasion.
Penny Outskirts

Excellent Shocked
Mary-Jane

Penny wrote:
Excellent Shocked

Quite. Shocked Confused
Barefoot Andrew

jema wrote:
A ping to the new server is about 20ms compared to 135ms on the old server and page generations times whilst too random to really get a handle on are coming in at 30% or so faster on occasion.

Forgot to ask - you interested in the page gen times I see?
A.
jema

If you are seeing anything notable, then yes. I am still seeing times ranging from considerably faster to perhaps a little slower, e.g. a bit more of a spread, but always good.
Barefoot Andrew

OK, I'll keep an eye on 'em.
A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home