Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
jema

Downsizer moving again

Sorry about this folks Embarassed

But following the last move to another server, I went mad and bought another new server and a shiny "ip subnet".

Thus means that in order to take advantage of it all, downsizer has to move again Sad

Not quite sure when yet, but probably either this weekend or next weekend.
Barefoot Andrew

Poor Snowball Wink
A.
Rob R

It somehow seems wrong that, in the past few months, 'Downsizer' has moved several times to upsize. Laughing
jema

Only twice!
T.G

Rob R wrote:
It somehow seems wrong that, in the past few months, 'Downsizer' has moved several times to upsize. Laughing

really its because they're on the run from something and is in some internet relocation programme Wink
jamanda

Where are we going this time then?
jema

Either a few boxes up or down from where we are now. All the servers are in the same rack!
jamanda

jema wrote:
Either a few boxes up or down from where we are now. All the servers are in the same rack!

OK. I don't suppose it's worth me asking what an IP subnet is is it?
jema

An IP subnet is a range of network addresses 109.169.13.128- 109.169.13.255 that we actually "own".

Previously if we put a new server in, then the datacenter would give us addresses for it on request.

Those addresses would then be for all practical purposes locked to that server alone.

So when we move downsizer currently we will have to give up its old address and put it on a new one. But now the new one is one we own. So if downsizer were to move yet again, it could take its IP address with it. That is a very good thing!
Rob R

jema wrote:
That is a very good thing!

I concur.
gz

Does this mean more cookie clearing Sad ?
sean

Probably. But then no cookie clearing ever again. Short term pain for long term gain.
gz

Very Happy
jema

sean wrote:
Probably. But then no cookie clearing ever again. Short term pain for long term gain.

Succinctly put.
jamanda

Why are they called "cookies"?
Gervase

Because 'biscuits' would sound even more twee, I suppose!
RichardW

Jamanda wrote:
Why are they called "cookies"?

Because you cant just have one..............
pookie

because they have chocolate chips in?
sean

Apparently it derives from 'magic cookie' which is a parcel of data that a program receives and passes on unchanged. I suppose they could have called them sweetcorn kernels instead.
Mary-Jane

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Poor Snowball Wink
A.

Indeed. "Welcome to my world" as she so often says... Laughing
12Bore

They're called cookies cos you can never quite get rid of the last crumbs - like when you eat biscuits in bed! Razz
jema

Some bad news on the move front Sad

I'm getting no response on a licence issue on the server I want to move DS to.

One solution is a move to somewhere slower, albeit hopefully not too bad.

I'm not keen of that, but the job needs doing and any next move back to somewhere quicker, would be a lot less painful.
Barefoot Andrew

S'never smooth is it? Confused
A.
jema

It's a pain to say the least, not least as the place I can transfer things to, is only licensed for 30 domains, and of course there are a few more than that to be dealt with.

It's not impossible to deal with, but it's wading through quicksand at a time when I need to get things done fast.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home