Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Hairyloon

Downsizer Tool Bank.

I have done a search and am surprised to come up pretty blank, but why do we not have a tool bank?

Or do we that I haven't found?
Nick

I think it's been discussed, and distances tended to rule it out, but it there's a way forward, it'd be great.
Jamanda

What Nick said - we've got a powered tile cutter to start the ball rolling. How's it going to work?
DawnMK

I think it would be a great idea Very Happy
jema

It is one I have thought about.
I like tools, but do not constantly use them, in fact I have given some things to other downsizers as I'd rather see them used.

But I have SDS drill and bits, angle grinder, bench grinder, tile cutters and loads of other bits.

The problem is both distance and now a lending system would practically work, frankly some people look after tools other don't. I am not sure I'd want in on a system that gave all and sundry access to my stuff.
alison

Putting a dampner on this maybe.

We have lent lots of things in the last 25 years, unfortunately they rarely come back in the condition they went out in, or in some cases not the original was returned and a worn out one at that.

It has cost us loads in repairs, or replacements.

We think very carefully now before we lend.
jema

Looks like me and Ali cross posted there.

It ain't like we are mean with stuff, its just tricky.
Hairyloon

I think it's been discussed, and distances tended to rule it out, but it there's a way forward, it'd be great.

This?

Obviously depends on the tools.
I've got one of these, and a lot more stuff that I don't lend out quite so freely. Confused
How's it going to work?

Good question.
Lots of possible answers depending on what people want. I'd suggest that we try to establish a system that is bulletproof, then we can potentially get some serious equipment.
Hairyloon

What I would suggest is that we create a tool bank: an entity that owns the tools.
Tools could be borrowed from the bank for a sensible contribution.

Perhaps we could set up a private sub-forum for it?
For any significant tools keeping tabs on who'd got it, condition, problems, etc.
Calli

Might consider the distribution of the tools?
I know that the DS network is amazing but a tool bank could look at a network that could tranship and redistribute...look at the location of the availabilty of the requirements?

Next day shipping has become ridiculously cheap considering fuel costs Rolling Eyes
Luath

Agree with Alison on this one; would never lend my tools out, from bitter experience. I use the phrase 'Please don't ask to borrow my tools, as refusal often offends' mochyn

As far as I can see we already have an informal one. Judith, Pookie and I usually have at least one thing in our houses that belongs to one of the others. I've got Robert's second best cement mixer. RichardW

Whilst I see this a good idea for those that are closely located for the rest the delivery, return & club costs are prob going to cost the same as hiring locally. mochyn

I think I agree, Richard. vegplot

What resolution or mediation system will be in place to deal with non-returned or claimed damage to tools loaned? judith

Mochyn, it is only his 2nd best one. You don't actually need to keep it in the house. Very Happy pookie

Mochyn, it is only his 2nd best one. You don't actually need to keep it in the house. Very Happy

*snigger*
mochyn

Do you know, some of my friends are completely bonkers? pookie

Do you know, some of my friends are completely bonkers?

do we know them? Laughing
mochyn

Have you got a mirror? earthyvirgo

Mochyn, it is only his 2nd best one. You don't actually need to keep it in the house. Very Happy

Dare I ask how many he's got? Shocked

EV
pookie

Have you got a mirror?

Surprised Surprised Surprised Laughing
judith

I haven't dared ask that yet!
Hairyloon

Maybe I should rephrase the question...

Is anybody interested in joining a tool hire cooperative?

(and maybe I should've posted in Trading Post?).
jema

I'd be interesting in "joining" are you going to set one up?
Hairyloon

I'd be interesting in "joining" are you going to set one up?
Depends how many people are how interested.
Why the "quotes" around joining?
jema

Simply to make the point that it is a hell of a lot easier to be interested and willing to join, than to actually successfully set up and coordinate. Hairyloon

Simply to make the point that it is a hell of a lot easier to be interested and willing to join, than to actually successfully set up and coordinate.
Oh dear. Well life is full of difficulties.
Sometimes it is worth facing those difficulties in order to make life easier later on.

Anyone that is properly interested, drop me a PM.
vegplot

I haven't dared ask that yet!

Someone stole mine. Crying or Very sad
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home