Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Bebo

Dribbly Pig

Just been down to feed the pigs and I noticed that whilst they both seem happy (curly tails, very active and hungry as usual) one of them seems to be dribbling a lot. Think I read somewhere once that this was usual with boars (something to do with attracting females, although it certainly doesn't do much for me). Is that right or should I be calling a vet in. The boys are around 8 months old, are intact and are due to go off to slaughter on the 26th.
RichardW

which end?

Justme
Bebo

Mouth.
Blue Sky

Our pigs slaver alot. I don't know if that is quite what you mean but I think it's quite normal if so.
Bebo

Yeah, it's almost like he is frothing at the mouth, but there is nothing else different about him or his behaviour.
RichardW

Sounds normal male behaviour near females......

Justme
Bebo

No female pigs nearby...........hope he isn't planning on taking a fancy to my leg as he's a big bugger now. Might just have been the food that got him excited.
NeathChris

Thats usual boar behavior as he is ready to start working now. My replacement breeding boars usually start working at 6-7 months.

Has he started smelling pissy yet?
chris
Bebo

Got to admit I haven't really had a good enough sniff to notice! I've got some apples to feed him in a minute and I'll check then.
mochyn

All my pigs (m + f) start dribbling as soon as they hear me coming with the feed.
Bebo

Sounds like nothing to worry about then. I've just never noticed them drooling anything like as much as one of them was this morning.
NeathChris

nothing to worry about, could be a slight risk of boar taint but you should be ok. My boars start popping their "old boy" out aswell at around 5 months.
chris
mochyn

But what about taint, though, Chris? Do you leave your boars entire? Ours are 13 weeks and I'll be growing them on to about 6 months. Is taint a myth, or should I ge them 'done'?
Bebo

I'll let you know in a few weeks!
Blue Sky

Personally I would 'have them done' every time unless you are planning on breeding from them.
Bebo

I'd been advised by the people we bought the weaners from that it wasn't necessary as long as they were going for the chop before they got to a year old. That's why we didn't bother. I'll see what the meat is like this time and decide from that what we do next time.
woodsprite

We always sorted our boars too after our first time breeding and boar taint led to feeding loads of meat to the dogs. Sad
NeathChris

Taint is there. It is not a myth but after many scientific tests it is impossible to find what and why causes it.

I leave all my boars in tact. Castrating is an extra job that is needless. I finish all pigs at 16-18 weeks, boars more closer to 16. I have luckily never come across it, and i have killed boars of 3 years old for sausage and Welsh bacon.

What weight you aiming for?
Bebo

So I might be OK with these two then. I'll be gutted if my first two pigs are inedible!
NeathChris

I wouldntworry. when they due to go?
Bebo

26th November.
mochyn

I don't aim at weights, Chris: not being a 'professional' pig-keeper it's less of a necessity for me. I look at them at about 20 weeks and see how they look. If they look big enough I send them off... I'll probably send the remaining 2 boars off then and the 2 gilts a few weeks later.
NeathChris

You should be ok i reckon.
NeathChris

20 weeks off top of my head for a tamworth i would say 90-110lb a pig.
mochyn

Sounds about right, althought these guys are Tamworth X OSB. The two I've just sold were no longer liftable at 13 weeks...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home