Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Cathryn

drop spindle

Can someone point me at a good "how to do it" video on YouTube or similar? The ones I've seen all seem to show top spindles. I think I remember, I'm showing a friend, and I'd prefer to show her someone doing it properly.
frewen

But top spindles are lovely !
Cathryn

I'm sure they are but I happen to own the other kind. Smile
frewen

I turn mine upside down (or the right way up depending on our perspective Wink
Cathryn

And put a hook in the end? It's nicely balanced as it is but I will suggest that to her, as she has it on semi permanent loan.
Mistress Rose

Why does everyone use them upside down now? I learnt to spin with the whorl at the bottom, which as far as we know was the British way of spinning. I think the top whorl ones come from South America or somewhere, so would have traditionally been used for spinning llama and similar fibres.
Bodrighy

When I first started making them I used to put hooks on them so that the whorl was at the bottom but stopped putting hooks on as so many seemed to want to use them as top whorls. Alternatively go for the Bulgarian ones that don't have any whorl at all LOL.

Pete
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Why does everyone use them upside down now? I learnt to spin with the whorl at the bottom, which as far as we know was the British way of spinning. I think the top whorl ones come from South America or somewhere, so would have traditionally been used for spinning llama and similar fibres.

Does it make a difference to the fibre/process?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home