Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
hils

drying / freezing herbs

My herbs have done rather well this year and I would like to either freeze or dry the surplus. I've searched the old posts and can't find info on doing this - any advice anyone please?
cab

Re: drying / freezing herbs

hils wrote:
My herbs have done rather well this year and I would like to either freeze or dry the surplus. I've searched the old posts and can't find info on doing this - any advice anyone please?

I find that it's best to freeze whole leaves and shoots, and to do so on a tray so that they freeze fast. Then tip them into plastic bags, squeeze out the excess air, and get them straight back into the freezer ASAP. They need to be well sealed or they'll get 'freezer burn' quite quickly, and they'll also lose their flavour.

This works well for basil, thyme, mint, marjoram, oregano and parsley; for coriander I uproot the whole thing, rinse off the soil, and freeze it intact.

Fennel I dry on the stalk, hung in bunches by string in the back hall.
Growing dill this year, I should imagine that it'll dry the same way.

Sage, rosemary and bay overwinter on the plant with no loss in quality that I can detect.

That's most of my essential herbs dealt with; I don't always preserve all of them, and I don't recall preserving any others.
judith

Chives and dill - snip onto trays, open freeze and then bag up.

Basil and tarragon - chop up, mix with oil and then freeze in icecube trays. They keep their flavour really well. Or make pestos and freeze.

Other frozen herbs as Cab describes - you then sort of crush and crumble them straight into your cooking, rather than chopping.

The only ones I would bother drying would be oregano, marjoram and perhaps a little sage.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home