Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
stumbling goat

Duck eggs , incubator, Tips, advice welcome

Collected 12, hopefully fertile Aylesbury, eggs and am about to put them into the incubator. Incubator is automatic with motor driven sliding tray to turn them.

I read that they may hatch in 25 days?

Is there anything that we need to be mindful of to secure their future? Already have their names down with good schools in the area!

sg
Shan

Candle at 10 days. Bad duck eggs affect the rest of the eggs.
stumbling goat

Thank you Shan.

I did ask about that and the seller said I could candle but did not mention that bad eggs could affect good eggs.

Is VAT chargeable on Chickens, Ducks etc if a company is VAT registered?

Cheers.

sg
Shan

VAT should be zero rated on eggs.
stumbling goat

Came across a chap selling eggs and hens. £5 for 12 fertile (fingers crossed) eggs.

Hens were £12 each, shop he supplies sells at £30. Hence my VAT query.

sg
Shan

I'm pretty sure live hens are also zero rated on VAT.
stumbling goat

A good mark up then. £12 to £30.

Nice business if you can get it.

sg
Shan

I'd say £12 is too cheap if they are POL and £30 is too expensive, unless the are something really rare and special.
stumbling goat

I have another question, any help welcome.

The incubator is a Covatutto 24, and the instructions suggest that for Duck eggs you should remove the lid to allow the eggs to cool for 15 to 20 minutes each day from day 10 onwards. Then, spray or moisten the eggs before replacing the lid.

Does anyone else do this to their duck eggs when in an incubator?

sg
TTouch Homestead

I tend to candle my quite frequently to remove duds, so consider that their cooling down period when mum would normally get off and go do the eat and toilet break thing. I don't spray them either as I tend to do mix hatch with other egg type.
I have had better hatches when I don't let humidity get too high.
stumbling goat

Thank you TTH.

They went in on 25th May, I was going to first candle at around 4th June.

sg
stumbling goat

Pardon my ignorance , but how does one candle a Duck egg, with it's thicker than a chicken egg shell, with any degree of certainty?

I have a very bright torch. Do I hold the torch to the rear of the egg pointing towards me and look for a skeleton or shape of life within the egg?

sg
stumbling goat

Have candled the eggs as best I can with a very bright torch with mixed results.

2 eggs you can see through the shell and they appear to be clear, well with a tiny bit of shadowing, not certain though.

Most eggs are so thick that I can not see through them.

A couple have a large lump at one side of the egg with a clearly visible air sack or gap at the end.

They went in the evening of 25/05, so this evening is day 12.

Not sure what to do now? Don't really want to crack open one of each to see what is happening and risk losing one. Ay experts local to Northampton?

Any suggestions welcome?

sg
stumbling goat

Candled the eggs today under the stairs in near darkness with a torch held at one end.

3 distinct patterns showing.

1. A large shape almost like a pair of ears on one sidewall of the egg. The remaining space appears clear, no sign of veins.

2. A large mass with more curves and form than the oval or rounded shape above, and with veins leading off it clearly visible.

3. A tiny shape, almost a match head size speck, no veins, and the rest of the egg clear.

Form what I have seen online number 2 is most promising. Still loathe to break any of them open just in case they are viable. Think I will give them all a few more days but if 3 is still the same I will open that one and see.

sg
Shan

I'm useless at candling.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home