Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Tensing

Duck House

Okay need ideas on how to make a simple duck house.

We have loads of good clean pallets, and roofing materials.

It needs to be a simple design and easy to make as it will be made by my 14 year old son.
Treacodactyl

Have you googled for duck houses? I doubt there will be any plans (I couldn't find hen house plans when I looked) but if you search google images you should find some good clear pictures and use them to inspire your own plan.
Bodger

Duck houses need to be as simple as posible . Good wide door with a ramp up to it. Draught proof but with ventilation.
No need for nest boxes or anything fancy like that because they lay on the floor .
I have a small booklet on making chicken and hen houses. If you want to borrow it just PM me . Its amazing what you can do with a hammer and nails ! Very Happy
Naomi

I have a homemade duck house and it resembles a large dog kennel .
The front lifts down completely to allow access to clean it out easily(which with messy ducks is very important) and inside this big door is another smaller one which lowers to form the ramp for access by the ducks. It is a simple design, a square box with apex roof.

Most important factors are easy cleaning , ventilation and a wide enough doorway .Other than that it is just a waterproof box.
Tensing

Thanks for the info.
percypony

My hubby made a very simple one out of a packing crate. Lifted the front slightly higher than the back and used a couple of off cuts of onduline roofing left over from the barn on the top.
To be honest our chicken houses are identicle. No posh doors (just a hole cut) or nest boxes for our girls and they get along just fine! Obviously we put perches in the chicken houses though! Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home