Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Chez

Duck on chicken sex ...

... is NOT nice at all for the hens, but my drake is very persistent. Is it a dominance thing? Or because he hasn't got enough Duck Laydees? Or simply because it's helping him feel better about his inadequate social skills?

He's lovely otherwise. It's just that he lays in wait for the pullets and positively *pummels* them and leaves them all shocked and wobbly and squished.

Any ideas?
Mrs R

Think it's a duck thing - all mine rape each other pretty much constantly and when there were more male muscovies about, they'd gang up and manage to bring down a goose to rape.

Only thing to watch is that ducks have willies and chickens aren't designed to handle them - don't know if there is actually proof they get damaged but it makes sense to me that they would.
Chez

Thank you. I feel enlightened now as well as just mildly soiled Laughing
12Bore

Reaches for the mind bleach, again. Shocked
vegplot

Hence the term, which I shall not repeat here.
windyridge

Hence the term, which I shall not repeat here.
Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Debbie

Is definiely an issue with drakes..I had two and although they had plenty of ducks for company they would grab a chicken and rape her - I know it sounds daft but literally one would hold her down whilst the other had a go then they would swap places Apparently its not unusal for a drake to drown a hen as they prefer to mate in water and will drag the hen ino a pond and drown her whilst mating Shocked
Mrs R

They really do seem to plan and use teamwork Shocked
gai

Yep it used to happen all the time here when we had a drake. He drowned several hens. Even when we separated them the hens had a fatal attraction thing going on and kept finding ways through the fence into the duck pound where they were promptly dragged into the pond. I've even heard of wild drakes swooping down into a chicken run, doing the deed and flying off again.
Liz in Ireland

Local fair coming up, son and I were considering ducks, think I've changed my mind. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
catbaffler

Re: Duck on chicken sex ...

... is NOT nice at all for the hens, but my drake is very persistent. Is it a dominance thing? Or because he hasn't got enough Duck Laydees? Or simply because it's helping him feel better about his inadequate social skills?

He's lovely otherwise. It's just that he lays in wait for the pullets and positively *pummels* them and leaves them all shocked and wobbly and squished.

Any ideas?

Knit him some trousers?..... Wink
darkbrowneggs

Local fair coming up, son and I were considering ducks, think I've changed my mind. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Consider Rouen which are basically Giant Mallard, and (at least in my duck pen) pair up, and stay together, with the male standing between his duck and any other male and fending it off with pecking

I I did have some crested ducks in with them and the two males nearly drowned one of the Rouen girls when they started coming into lay. - They are in a pen on their own now

The other thing I like about the Rouen is that they don't seem so endlessly quacky as the other ducks I have kept.

Click to see full size image
judith

That duck's wearing a syrup. It's not fooling anyone you know! darkbrowneggs

That duck's wearing a syrup. It's not fooling anyone you know!

I wasn't trying to photo him, but he kept getting in the way, and I gave up in the end. It is quite a stunning hairdo though Very Happy - he is called Elvis

All the best
Sue
sean

That duck's wearing a syrup. It's not fooling anyone you know!

Have you been to the pub? Just asking...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home