Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
jamanda

Duck question

A pair of muscovies seem to have taken up residence on a little island in the stream that runs through the Commons. Are they hardy enough to survive in the wild?
Mr O

yep, but they would appreciate a bit of feed.
Luath

They should be fine, they're a goose rather than a duck; mine are out in all weathers, so from that point of view, no problem. As said, bit of extra feed won't go amiss. Lovely birds.
jamanda

Bread crusts? I'm not buying special duck food for iternerant squatting ducks.
Luath

Not bread no, not good for ducks.
Nell Merionwen

It's illegal to dump domestic ducks with wild ducks as they don't fly. They can breed with the wild ducks and muddy the waters. Call swan rescue and they will advise who to get hold of to re-home them.
However, I believe they originate from Moscow, so cold weather isn't a problem for them. Extra feed would be welcome as it is for all wild birds in cold months.
ETA try these http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/0416.php
Lloyd

If they can't fly, how did they get to the island? Confused
Nell Merionwen

flying the small distance to get to the island (as even hens can manage) is entirely different to the flying a wild duck can manage.
Nicky cigreen

they are probably escapees from some smallholding etc. There are plenty around

I wouldn't worry about feeding them - they are good foragers, and if there isn't enough around, they will probably move on.
Mr O

Ducks can swim. mousjoos

They may not be the most aerodynamic or air-worthy but they manage to fly up onto the roof of the house Luath

It's illegal to dump domestic ducks with wild ducks as they don't fly. They can breed with the wild ducks and muddy the waters. Call swan rescue and they will advise who to get hold of to re-home them.
However, I believe they originate from Moscow, so cold weather isn't a problem for them. Extra feed would be welcome as it is for all wild birds in cold months.
ETA try these http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/0416.php

Eh?

I can assure you that a number of breeds of domestic ducks fly; my Muscovies certainly can, is quite a sight to behold too. Muscovies are closer to geese than ducks, athought they're called Muscovy ducks.
So they may well have arrived of their own accord, rather than having been 'dumped'
As for the Moscow bit, don't know where you got that from, but they originate in Mexico/South America.....................
jamanda

I doubt they've been dumped where they are. There are no wild ducks living there for them to mingle with. chez

The odd bread crust won't hurt; it's better than starving. Porridge oats would probably go down okay, too. But they are good foragers, as Nicky says. They are also the only breed of domestic duck to perch, did you know? Luath

One of my boys shares the roost with the chickens every night Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home