Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Cathryn

Ducklings

No, no photos as I haven't got any. My sister however fancies some bantam sized ones. Miniature appleyard, Call ducks? She has quite a large suburban garden and her neighbours are already used to her hens, children and dog. I've warned her about the messiness and getting big drakes. So what about a pair of either of those two? She'd like them as ducklings. Anyone have any available and what else should I warn her about?
Shan

They are noisier than chickens.
sueshells

They are noisier than chickens.

They certainly are - female Call Ducks could probably be heard from a mile away! Cute though.
Cathryn

Thank you, I will warn her! Smile
Tania

Re: Ducklings

No, no photos as I haven't got any. My sister however fancies some bantam sized ones. Miniature appleyard, Call ducks? She has quite a large suburban garden and her neighbours are already used to her hens, children and dog. I've warned her about the messiness and getting big drakes. So what about a pair of either of those two? She'd like them as ducklings. Anyone have any available and what else should I warn her about?

Used to live in London with biggish back garden - we had 3 Khaki Campbells - 2 girls 1 boy - neighbours loved them - they do quack but not that much and are a lovely breed.
Call ducks are noisy!
No need for pond - kids sand pit or similar container would be good for them - they will however need a little more space than chickens to roam - and top tip - if your garden grass is prone to getting saturated - keep them off it if you still want grass as they will love it and make it very muddy!
Cathryn

We've just found two ducklings. Came across one in the middle of a road and when it ducked under a gate decided it knew where it was going, then about 500yds down the road found another. We picked that one up and went back to check on the other duckling. This had now been found by a couple and their young daughter. Jack decided they needed two.

They had never had ducks or hens or anything like that.

We've just got home, and had a look at some photos, they've got two young gosling. Smile I'm sure they'll grow to love them.
madcat

Ooh hissy honky pecky. I'm not sure I'd want geese . OH thinks they're evil, as a small boy he discovered that little boys in shorts are fair game to an evil minded goose Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home