Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
kirsty

Easy Camping Recipes

I have been tricked into going camping with my OH in a few weekends time (honestly- he must have asked me whilst I was distracted by David Tennant or something Rolling Eyes )
So, what kind of food is easy to cook on a single burner stove and good accompanied by the LARGE quantities of alcohol that I will have to consume to make the experience bearable?
pookie

a frittata, containing lots of lovely new potatoes, mushrooms etc
add a little salad on the side, lovely.
marigold

If he's trying to convince you that camping is fun then he should do the cooking Wink .
Sherbs

Go to a good Army surplus shop and pick up some foil vacuum packed meals.

Some supermarkets also do pretty passable foil vacuum packed so-called breakfast things that mostly consist of potato, bacon and stuff.

Are you having a camp-fire? if so, the menu can expand somewhat. Potatoes baked in the ashes are good, sausages cooked on sticks, bacon is easy in a pan as it creates its own fat to cook it in and you can be sure its properly cooked through because its thin. Baked beans are also easy.

Pretty much anything you can do in a pan will work but just might take a bit longer. Soup and bread is always good.

If you want to be more adventurous, fish can be baked in the ashes, sausages on sticks if you take it slow to make sure they're cooked through.

I've had some fantastic food cooked on a fire, even a variation on apple and blackberry crumble!
Jamanda

Get a barbeque!
Pilsbury

practice now,
the rules of the game are you are only allowed 3 pans and 1 gas ring on the hob, see what you can knock up.
This is how i practiced for the competition hikes I used to do with my brother, the evening meal counted for 10% of the marks so we treated it as a challange rather than just some food.
the best i managed was for 3 people
cheese and pate with crackers as starter
pan fried garlic chicken breast with wild vegetable rice for main
and hot chocolate crunch for pudding,
minituer bottle of white wine for each of us for the main, nearly lost points for that as we were only 17 but just got away with it.
baldybloke

Disposable barbecues are good. Mainly use a meths Trangia stove which is brilliant. Cooked chicken stirfries and rice from scratch. Pasta and sauce with veg is easy as well. Be imaginative, its an adventure.
Pilsbury

we only had meth traingia when we were hiking as well, light and small, great fun lol
kirsty

that's brilliant guys! Huge thanks. I really don't "do" the sleeping outdoors thing so am a bit freaked out.
I am only in charge of the cooking cos if he was it'll be Pot Noodle three times a day all weekend.
May have to go for Pilsbury's 3 courses for the first night though, sounds delicious!
Pilsbury

right pate and cheese are cold, easy to eat while cooking the main,
pack the chicken breast in a platic bag with a little garlic and a bit of oil before you leave, ours were frozen but that cos we had them out of the freezer for 2 day before we cooked them lol
pan fry the chicken in a little oil for about 8 min and set aside, put the rice into a second pan and add 1.5 times the amount of water and bring to the boil, put the fry pan with the chicken on top to make it boil quicker and keep the chicken hot, boil for 5 mins then take off the heat and leave to stand for 5/6 mins with the chicken on top.
make up a packet of chocolate custard in the 3rd pan and when it i cooked cover the top with crushed chocolate digestive and put to one side, serve the chicken and rice, then the pud is cool enough to eat, and while doing this put the kettle on for a cuppa or the washing up, sorted
Pilsbury

kirsty wrote:
that's brilliant guys! Huge thanks. I really don't "do" the sleeping outdoors thing so am a bit freaked out.
I am only in charge of the cooking cos if he was it'll be Pot Noodle three times a day all weekend.
May have to go for Pilsbury's 3 courses for the first night though, sounds delicious!

that said me and a mate decided on the spur of the moment to do 4 days camping in the lake district, we left that day with no campsite booked and our shopping consisted of stopping at bookers for a case of choc chip tracker bars and a case of beef and tomato pot noodles, found some top pub food and a cracking campsite on the banks of lake coniston.
wellington womble

Get a barbecue, definitley. Barbecued bacon sarnies are to die for. Eat loads, skip lunch and them make (before you go) burgers, marinaded fish in herbs and lemon, and chicken pieces in tandori or barbecue marinade. Eat with bread and salad. Mmmmmm. Recipes on request (all very easy, and the tandori comes out of a jar)
sally_in_wales

steak is good, bacon sarnies also essential
Barefoot Andrew

Wot the others have said. Especially Marigold Laughing

Have a double-breakfast: cereal and and a bit of a fry-up, or bacon sarnies at least. And serious amounts of tea. Then you can skip lunch as said, and slap burgers, sausies, shrooms, corn, peppers, courgette and anything else you can rustle up on the barbie at teatime.
A.
kirsty

Bacon is one of my main food groups so that is definately on my shopping list!
Am planning a practice of Pilsbury's menu at the weekend so I'll let you know how I get on.
Am just trying to resist buying all the "essential" camping equipment that keeps popping up whenever I do an internet search.
Luckily we have some outdoorsy friends who are lending us some stuff.
I got a "Party Grill" for my birthday last year which packs up into a bag and was brilliant at cooking mackerel on the beach in Cornwall last summer. BBQs I can do!
Barefoot Andrew

kirsty wrote:
Bacon is one of my main food groups

Bacon is the Food of the Gods. Rory McGrath says so.
A.
Nicky Colour it green

a portable BBQ and decent weather and you're sorted

have cooked a fry up with one pan, you just have to be organised.

cous cous is great camping food, as only needs hot water.
sean

kirsty wrote:

Am just trying to resist buying all the "essential" camping equipment that keeps popping up whenever I do an internet search.

There's an article about what you actually need to take. Here.
baldybloke

Once when camping on the side of Galway Bay my friend landed lots of mackerel which when straight on the barbie. How good was that!!
Barefoot Andrew

sean wrote:
There's an article about what you actually need to take. Here.

Even you look younger in those pics Wink
A.
Dani

Pilsbury wrote:
we only had meth traingia when we were hiking as well, light and small, great fun lol

sorry, I know I have come to this late, but just saw what Pilsbury wrote, and it made me laugh out loud.
Definitely would not have have to the two descripotors of 'light and small' next to a traingia. Laughing
I go backpacking quite a lot, and thats one of the last stoves I would take with me. Maybe ok if i was walking in a group and we were all sharing. But then why bother, if we all take a really lightweight stove like the pocket rocket, we all have more to cook on.

anyway, when I go hiking, I do like my food varied. Normally take frozen meat for the first day, ad then dried or pre-cooked meat the rest. Rice and pasta. Potatoes too if I can be bothered. Sainburys do a very nice line of ready made sauces in foil packets that don't weigh that much. Dehydrated soup is very good for lunch. I can never be bothered to cook in the morning. I normally take with me a self heating boil in the bag. Excellent things they are. You just shove the food packet into this pouch, pour in some water and snap a metal disk seal it up and it does it all for you. I normally start packing up while its doing.
I have to add, I am a lightweight backpacker out of necessity. As in, I cant physically carry much weight.
James

Here’s my easy one pot camping meal

A tin of tuna in olive oil
A tin of chopped tomatoes
An onion
Half a sachet of dried mixed vegetables
Quick cook maccaroni
Garlic

Drain the oil from the tuna into your pot. Fry onion & garlic. Add everything else except the tuna and boil, adding water as required to maintain a thick sauce. Cook till mixed veg and pasta are soft. Break up fish and mix in.
Serve with lashings of red wine.

These fish cakes are a bit more complex: it needs two containers (we used mess tins) & takes a while to prepare. But they’re really rather good:

A tin of sardines in olive oil
A sachet of instant potato mash flake (not crumb)
Salt, pepper, mixed herbs

Drain the oil into one of the two mess tins. Pour half the potato flake into the other mess tin and add cold water slowly until the potato has re-hydrated. Mix in the sardines, salt, pepper & mixed herbs. Roll into flat rissoles, and leave somewhere warm for the potato to soak up any residual juices for a while (time for wine..). Then drop the rissoles (one at a time) into the half-full bag of flaked potato and toss until covered in flake. Fry till golden brown in the other mess tin containing the oil
Serve with French bread, a bag of salad and lashings of white wine.
otatop

I always take my wok and do lots of stir-fries. Ratatoille is handy - with lots of bread to wipe the pan you save on washing up! Rissotto is good - esp if it's white wine that you're drinking.
kirsty

Cool article sean! I seem to have broken the cardinal rule though and we are not camping in France.
Binbags and matches have just been added to the shopping list!
Pilsbury

Dani wrote:
Pilsbury wrote:

sorry, I know I have come to this late, but just saw what Pilsbury wrote, and it made me laugh out loud.
Definitely would not have have to the two descripotors of 'light and small' next to a traingia. Laughing

well it total it is quite a small set up as it all packs down into the largest pan which you would have to carry anyway, and we were teams of 3 all between 16 and 19 so the ease of use was one of the deciding factors.
we were banned from petrol stoves as well so it was gas, solid fuel or trangias, most people picked trangias.
gil

Baked beans are a good staple !

If you have a cool box, you can take some pre-cooked veggy food for the first couple of days and reheat. A nut roast lasts well.

Having said that, my camping food is usually very basic; along the lines of a bottle of coke, tins of baked beans [often eaten cold], fried eggs, bacon, Kendal mint cake, apples and bananas.

In hot weather, cheese, butter and chocolate are a bit of a no-no.
wellington womble

kirsty wrote:
Luckily we have some outdoorsy friends who are lending us some stuff.

There's an article (and a very long thread) on camping and what to take somewhere. I can also send you my list if it helps. We used to camp a lot at one stage, so I typed up the list, and just used to print it out and tick everything off each time. We ought to go more often, really.
baldybloke

Some interesting recipes appearing here which I might just have to try. Dani's condemnation of the Trangia is valid if you're going backpacking. In my case I usually go touring on the bike and the Trangia suits me fine. Cheaper and more efficient than camping gaz, and it does pack up into a quite small package. Rocket stoves from what I read, still needs batteries for the fan, and access to twigs. If on a recognised campsite these might not be readily available.
cir3ngirl

I always do a veg rissotto
Nick

Pilsbury wrote:

pan fry the chicken

Bloody chefs.

How ELSE do you fry something, except in a pan? Wink
Pilsbury

deep fat fryer Rolling Eyes

and the 10% marks was for the presentation and wording of the menu as well Laughing

there are 13 methods of cookery that we were taught at college and shallow (pan) frying and dep frying are 2 different methods as they produce different results and textures
mark

It depends ..

are you lightweight carrying evrything on your back or have a base camp.

Do you pass pubs or cafes on route if hiking.

If you do then you can dispense with cooking altogether - and have cooked meal in pub and eat fresh uncooked food rest of time. More time for whatever else you get up to!

If you are mega lightweight and have a food drier you can use it to prepare dried meal meals you can rehydrate and eat. You can also have jerky and fruit leathers and other trail food!

If you have a base - well then it is culinary playtime - you can stack pans on top of each other even on a single burner stove - or you can make a fire and have as many burners as you like.

you can just wrap some chopped up meat and veg in foil season and chuck in embers and will cook in own juices - delicious and simple.

you can premix plastic bags of ingredients and then quickly make griddle scones, pancakes,

I have cooked just about everything while camping. I once fed thirty people camping in a field off two gas rings and two pans with home made curry and rice and chappatis (using a wine bottle to roll the bread as i aint good at the hand to hand thing).

You can do it!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Array Home Home Home