Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
moongoddess

easy care, low maintenance gardening

Right, this is probably an I-want-my-cake-and-to-eat-it query, but a friend of mine has asked me about low maintenance trees, shrubs and flowers that will attract wildlife and be safe for kiddies to be around.

Without knowing anything about soil type and sun / shade conditions are there any 'must haves' that you would suggest or is the question too simplistic?

I'm a veggie and herbs gal myself, so don't really know what to suggest!

TIA
mg x
judith

Buddleia is the first thing that comes to mind.
tahir

Elaeagnus, bay, rosemary, fuchsia
tahir

phormium, rhododendron
Cathryn

What about a witch hazel - lovely and fragrant at this time of year.
Lavender lavender and more lavender (but I have difficulty growing it! most other people don't though) Need to be trimmed back though but perhaps this wouldn't be seen as a chore?
Bugs

tahir wrote:
phormium

And that from a father, have you never used the phrase "watch yourself you'll have your eye out on that don't say I didn't warn you"?

I'd agree heavily with Ruby about the lavender - easy and cheap to get hold of and establish too (unless you have very bad luck).

To fill in with summer flowers there are a lot of bee/bird/bat/butterfly seed mixes available as well as ones for specific locations. You sow them direct but they will take a bit of care obviously in getting them to grow to start with. Fun and pretty though.

Some kinds of roses will be nice too, yes they're prickly (but they shouldn't be playing there SHOULD they?) and take a little care but are so nice it's worth it. Plus the little blighters can learn about itching powder from them.

Otherwise I would think a bit more detail about location etc and we can help you surrepticiously convert him/her with edibles Wink
Mrs Fiddlesticks

nothing wrong with getting the kids in to gardening early in which case some annuals would be fun, quick result, summer maintenance only (dead heading and watering possibly) sunflowers, bizzy lizzies, poached egg plant etc. I'd agree with lavender - my favourite

My son has got an interest in gardening because he found some discarded runner bean seeds on the path up on the site. He put them in a pot, they grew and we put up a small wigwam for him. He picked and we all ate the result.. he's saved more seeds this year and wants a whole row of beans...
puffedpride

Concrete is reliable.
otatop

Don't do rue! It's hardy, poetic, and very pretty - but dangerous if you brush against it in the sun. I still bear scars from several years ago.
gil

first surreptitious step towards edibles : a blackcurrant bush. Then raspberry canes.
Borage. Mint.
Bugs

And normal green sage, which you can grow from seed easily enough. Tough, doesn't take much care, nice enough to look at, pretty flowers bees love. And makes a fine wine Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (I believe wine is even more important to people with children than it is to me!)
Lisa

Bunny Guinness' family gardens is a lovely book with this sort of information plus much more. I got it from my local library and liked it so much I bought a copy.
dpack

thyme , hazel coppice .bulbs .
moongoddess

wowee - some great responses and ideas. Thank you all so much! All duly saved into a file...... Very Happy

mg x
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home