Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
tahir

Easy Linux

I'm thinking of setting up a linux machine for various reasons when i move, anybody tried Lycoris?

http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/control/
jema

The improved font rendering could be a killer must have feature.

I think the biggest let down of most distributions are that they are simply not as smart looking as windoze because of the fonts.
trigfa

Haven't tried it yet. I'm a big fan of Ubuntu myself

www.ubuntulinux.org
tahir

trigfa wrote:
Haven't tried it yet. I'm a big fan of Ubuntu myself

www.ubuntulinux.org

But is it easy for a non devotee to set up?
jema

I thought Ubunto had a good rep in that regard.

I'm sorry to say i did try it, but it would not boot the install on the box I tried Sad This is a problem with a lot of Linux installers, so does not reflect too poorly on Ubuntu.
trigfa

jema wrote:
This is a problem with a lot of Linux installers, so does not reflect too poorly on Ubuntu.

It certainly is. Of the six computers I've had at home over the last few years at least one wouldn't boot RedHat, Slackware, Debian or Fedora, and it was a different system each time Rolling Eyes

The ubuntu installer has improved with the latest release, no problems so far.
2steps

I have been told thats knoppix is really good
trigfa

2steps wrote:
I have been told thats knoppix is really good

I've used Knoppix as a rescue disk on a number of occasions and its certainly really useful for that. Haven't tried installing it on the hard disk yet though.
2steps

I borrowed a disk once for the same thing and a little play with it. It looked to have a lot of software with it, which I thought was good. I have a friend who runs his server on linux and palys around with other operating systems. He says the latest knoppix is excellent
tahir

Hows ubuntu on font rendering then?
jema

tahir wrote:
Hows ubuntu on font rendering then?

As far as I know "Lycoris" is the only one better than normal.

I have just posted a screen shot of normal here:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/ftopic1088.php&highlight=

last post in the thread is a shot from a normal linux box.
tahir

Doesn't look apalling does it?
jema

tahir wrote:
Doesn't look apalling does it?

Oh no it is prefectly usable. But I really want to see Linux looking as "nice" as windows. As I use both a Linux and a Windows desktop, I am very aware of the difference.
dougal

Re: Easy Linux

tahir wrote:
I'm thinking of setting up a linux machine for various reasons ...

Perhaps those reasons might influence your choice more than the on-screen eye-candy? Especially if you plan to run it as a server..

It would appear that ease of admin for a *nix novice is one important selection criterion in this instance. I'd guess that ease of install would be similarly important. Do you have the hardware already? Are there any non-mainstream drivers going to be needed?
What other criteria might apply to *you* and your proposed *applications*?

If the thing is going to run 24/7 then noise and energy consumption might be legitimate hardware considerations.

I'm wondering if something like a Cobalt Qube3 might be a sensible choice - small, unobtrusive, (now secondhand) cheap, with a lot of functionality as part of the basic install package, which provides simple admin of the packaged functions.
The thing was designed as a small server "appliance".
And its not a "weird" machine for shareware support (like the Qube2 as an example) being Intel architecture based.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home