Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
victay2

Edible funghi in November - any clues?

Hi! I'm brand new to this forum, I stumbled across it while doing some research this morning. I haven't been on any mushroom hunts this year and I am hankering after it today! - Anyone know what I might expect to come across at this time of year? I live in Suffolk (near Ipswich) and am thinking about going around one of the local parks.

Already I have found some useful links here, and some amazing photographs of forage finds! Very impressed!

Smile
tahir

Welcome, is this any use?

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_food/Top_Ten_Wild_Foods_to_Gather_in_Winter/
victay2

That's great! Thank you very much. I never knew about 'bletting' Smile
victay2

Click to see full size image
Cathryn

A successful afternoon then? Smile
victay2

Ceps of some kind - maybe bay boletus?

Anyone fancy having a pop at identifying these? I looked in my Roger Philips book, none look quite as dark brown as mine. I cooked them with a bit of groundut oil, garlic and butter and they tasted good but were too gritty!
Cathryn

Shocked I have just checked back and feel just faintly reassured that you have collected mushrooms in the past. Should you perhaps have identified thme however before eating them? Smile I am a novice at this so is this a species that are all harmless.
bubble

we would all like to rush and help you victay2 ,but ,its a bad pic,we have no idea of size ,where they were found ,what tree or trees,spore print a cross section etc as much info as poss.If they bruised green/blue I would guess at bay bolete ,Bol. badius.
victay2

Bay boletus

Yeh, they look rather like two different boletes and I have fried/nibbled them before. I am used to mushroom hunting and only eat when I am certain there isn't something similar yet poisonous. In my roger Phillips mushroom bible the photography depicts a couple of likely boletus shrooms that are not quite as dark as mine. I work in design and print so appreciate colour probs in print production.

Except from when I have been on organised forays I am still mildly suspicious of what I harvest and never 'tuck in' plus I know the big baddies and wouldn't even pick anything confusingly similar for fear of contaminating anything else in my basket. Even the lesser baddies - I wouldn't risk ... I'm certainly no expert but I'm well intersrted in learning as much as I can! Smile
victay2

Sorry about the pic - shrunk it because would not upload. Found them in parkland clearing surrounded by many tree varieties... I don't know how you get the grittiness out! I brushed, wiped, even washed!!! Any suggestions?
bubble

yes I do ,put your prepared mushrooms in a frying pan with a little water as if to cook for a minute or so swirl them a round separate mushies from water and take out.Discard water clean pan and cook as normal!!! Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
victay2

Thank you, bubble! I look forward to using your technique next find. Also - Well done on finding those beautiful ceps I saw in one of your postings - I bet they tasted amazing (as well as gritless!)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home