Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Rob R

Edited posts

When you edit a post it displays a message at the bottom of the post such as:

Quote:
Last edited by Rob R on 05 Nov 2009 11:33; edited 1 time in total

Would it be possible to display the same message when the post has been edited by someone other than the author of the post?
tahir

Not as far as I know
Barefoot Andrew

Not without a software change.
A.
Rob R

Confused Strange that it should say 'last edited by' then. Can it then be removed from a post when it is edited by the author?
RichardW

Try it & see

what happens

tried & no I cant edit the edit by message
Nicky cigreen

there will, at least, be a record of who edited posts in the moderators log.. so should it ever come up as an issue, it could be traced.
moderators could type in an edited thing too, if they wanted to
RichardW

I think if a mod need to alter a message it would be polite to put a message in. Perhaps with a code so that only the mods know who did it.
Bernie66

Mods tend to alter very little. Remove very little, and try in the main to interfere very little.
Mods, although hugely fallible Laughing , also try to pm if alterations are made, and usually pm asking the poster to make the changes as opposed to making them. This is not always possiblethough.
Rob R

RichardW wrote:
Try it & see

what happens

tried & no I cant edit the edit by message

I meant for it to be changed by admin so that it didn't appear at all, so we can choose whether we want to declare if we have edited, just like moderators can. Then if it was changed you could simply change it back without 'this post has been edited' being added to the post.
jamanda

I don't think it's any different for mods Rob

Now Let's see.

Nope - I can't get rid of it either.
jamanda

I think there has to be a following post.
wellington womble

It isn't. If I edit someone elses post, there is no 'edited by' comment, but if I edit my own, there always is. I can't choose whether or not this appears.
Rob R

wellington womble wrote:
It isn't. If I edit someone elses post, there is no 'edited by' comment, but if I edit my own, there always is. I can't choose whether or not this appears.

That's right, I'd like to either know when posts have been edited or be able to edit them without the edited by bit tagged on.
gil

wellington womble wrote:

That's interesting - I didn;t know that/hadn't noticed.

I don't mind if my own posts show that I've edited them. If I remember, I might even add 'ETA : whatever....' just to show what the extra bit of info is.

I've been into a couple of other people's posts recently to add them to the recipe database, where you have to provide a subject heading for the database to accept the recipe. If the post being recipied isn;t the first post in the thread, it prolly won't already have a subject heading, so I've given it the name of the recipe as an edit.
I'm quite glad that kind of editing doesn't show up as an edit, otherwise the original poster might wonder whether someone had changed their actual recipe.
bagpuss

Rob R wrote:
wellington womble wrote:

That's right, I'd like to either know when posts have been edited or be able to edit them without the edited by bit tagged on.

I think if its possible to switch on edited notifications if a mod edits someone elses post thats a good idea but it might not be possible, I don't know how good the software is

I would rather it went that way than we lost edit notifications as for context sake it can be useful to know if something was edited
Hairyloon

Barefoot Andrew wrote:

It seems to work different on different forums, so I think it is possible.
Might not be possible on whichever software this one is running of course.
Rob R

bagpuss wrote:
I would rather it went that way than we lost edit notifications as for context sake it can be useful to know if something was edited

Me too.
bagpuss

Hairyloon wrote:
Barefoot Andrew wrote:

It seems to work different on different forums, so I think it is possible.
Might not be possible on whichever software this one is running of course.

Can you give us an example of another forum which does it so we can find out if they use the same software and maybe ask how to do it?
Barefoot Andrew

Our forum here uses a customised version of phpbb2 - there won't be a direct comparison with any other forum.
A.
bagpuss

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Our forum here uses a customised version of phpbb2 - there won't be a direct comparison with any other forum.
A.

No but if another forum using phpbb2 can get the functionality then it shows its worth a look and might point those of you who actually look at the back end where to look
Barefoot Andrew

I will look into this with a view to a possible software tweak - but can't say when I'll get to it.

A.
Mrs R

Thanks Smile

Edit: Damn. See, it's lying already, Ixy hasn't edited this, I have Wink
Barefoot Andrew

Are you and Ixy secretly different halves of the same personality? Laughing
A.
Rob R

We are the same, no secrecy about it Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home