Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Oxford-Sandy-Man

Education needed.. story of my life!

Can anyone please advise me on where a good place is to start with bee's, good beginers books etc.

I'm not in the market to start keeping bee's at the moment (mainly because I know nothing about bee keeping) but my partner and I have been thinking of trying bee's for a while and we love to learn more and find out if they are for us!

Any advice, pro or con welcome!

Thanks
jamanda

I like this
lottie

The best way to decide if bees are for you is to get in touch with your local association---they often have beginners/introductory courses in the spring and even if they don't will usually be happy for you to go to meetings and have a go at handling bees at apiary meets with no obligations---members are usually happy to lend newbies a suit/gloves to have a go and see what it feels like. Some colleges sometimes run courses as well. If anyone near me wanted to "have a go" next year to see how they felt about bees I'd be happy to let them have a try and I'm sure most beekeepers are the same---we want to encourage people to take it up.
Barefoot Andrew

O-S-M - see Jenna's post here.
A.
chez

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
O-S-M - see Jenna's post here.
A.

I'd recommend that one, Hooper is good, despite his irrational hatred of WBC's Smile. I second what Lottie says about joining a local group, too.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home