Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
onemanband

Efficient kettle usage.

I guess the amounts of energy involved are negligible, but I was wondering ......

If you are heating water for washing up, with an electric kettle, is it more efficient to ......

A) Half fill kettle and bring to full boil, then add cold water to washing bowl

or

B) Fully fill kettle and only heat to required temperature.

My gut feeling is 'B' .But I can't scientifically explain why.
dpack

i thought of an instant answer then had doughts ,will consider Laughing
vegplot

Bring water to the boil uses more energy than heating it to just below boiling point (latent heat of vaporisation) so in theory it's more efficient to heat water to the temperature you need despite having to heat a larger mass.

In practice I doubt there would be very much in it due to other variables coming into play. Using a kettle may not be the most effective way to heat the water.

Hairyloon

Assuming you are looking to end with the same amount of water at the same temperature, then it is less efficient to boil the kettle because of the energy escaping in the steam, but FFS...

If you are really that bothered, then how you use the water is probably more significant, but surely life is too short?
dpack

to part heat all the water avoids using energy to heat the kettle above the required water temp .

a aaa rated dishwasher will use less energy and water than a chap with a tap, kettle and bowl and give a better result

probably the most eco friendly method is to use a "pad"of something and sand or peat to clean pots n plates Laughing
onemanband

but FFS...

If you are really that bothered, then how you use the water is probably more significant, but surely life is too short?

As I said in the OP - just wondered. I shan't be loosing any sleep over it.
onemanband

Bring water to the boil uses more energy than heating it to just below boiling point (latent heat of vaporisation) so in theory it's more efficient to heat water to the temperature you need despite having to heat a larger mass.

In practice I doubt there would be very much in it due to other variables coming into play. Using a kettle may not be the most effective way to heat the water.

Yes that was my vague recollection of GCSE physics.
My current water heating situation is ........ electric shower(for showers),kettles on woodburner(for washing up during winter) and electric kettle (for summer washing up)
As I am only kettling what I need, when I need it and mainly during the summer, then given my circumstances it is maybe not that inefficient.
vegplot

Yes that was my vague recollection of GCSE physics.
My current water heating situation is ........ electric shower(for showers),kettles on woodburner(for washing up during winter) and electric kettle (for summer washing up)
As I am only kettling what I need, when I need it and mainly during the summer, then given my circumstances it is maybe not that inefficient.

Circumstances are everything aren't they! Go with the 'heat as much as you need unless there's a cuppa in the offing'.

Or there's this...

http://www.avalanche-energyinc.com/
Mistress Rose

I heard from someone that had solar hot water panels that even in the winter they did heat the water a bit, and it was really hot in summer.

As far as making tea is concerned, we boil a kettle then put any spare hot water into a flask for making coffee, or reheating later for tea. That reduces energy usage too, but no good for the original question about washing up.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home