Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
SandraR

Egg boxes

Best places to buy egg boxes ? I usually buy the grey 1/2 doz ones 300 at a time.

I can't remember where I bought the last lot from but they were pretty useless and wondered if anyone could recommend a seller please?
Bodger

Sandrar I just go onto e-bay and take the best deal available. I've had some great bargains for three to five hundred boxes at a time. Very Happy
Bodger

This one looks pretty nifty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600-X-NEW-1-2-DOZ-EGG-CARTONS-BOXES-POULTRY-HENS-DUCKS-/321204774752?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item4ac94be760
SandraR

That's what I normally do ...the best buy seems to be these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600-X-NEW-1-2-DOZ-EGG-CARTONS-BOXES-POULTRY-HENS-DUCKS-/321204774752?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item4ac94be760

It's just the tabs on the last lot broke - I think it may possibly be down to the hybrid eggs being too big for the boxes rather than the boxes being useless - they all seem much of a muchness.

I'll just go for them.

Embarassed Just noticed it is the same link .thank you
Bodger

Its getting boxes for duck eggs that stuffs me. Some of the eggs are a humungus size.
chez

I get mine from KPack, via an intermediate. It works out at 7p a box, but I do have most customers trained to return them for refilling. They're selling them on ebay - here but it's the postage that slays you. Much better quality than the ones you get in the brown paper wrapper.
Bodger

I could sometimes do with better quality boxes when I'm posting hatching eggs out but I find that the punters at the gate are more interested in the eggs than the boxes. Having a nice label certainly adds to the presentation though and I prefer to spend extra on that, rather than on the box. Very Happy
chez

I don't label them - I've got a little ink stamp that I put on the boxes if I need to, but other than that, I don't worry about it. I stamp the eggs I sell over the market stall, though.
SandraR

I do label the boxes but have run out (must do more). I find the customers do like the boxes labelled and use the info. on them to visit my site and then contact me through it if they need eggs kept back on a certain date.

I also have a supply of 'moo' business cards in the box. These go on a regular basis - mostly by children collecting the different pictures, I think Laughing
chez

Kpack are near Cullompton I think, Sandra. If you've got space to store them it would be worth a trip.
SandraR

Oh right thanks - that's worth knowing. Most people are very good at returning the boxes but I've found this time around, they either aren't returning them or they're not fit to re use...so false economy really.

(not that I sell eggs in used boxes - you understand - unless of course the customers fill the boxes themselves Rolling Eyes )
chez

Of course not!

Yep, look, Uffculme - http://www.kpack.co.uk/
alison

What about Mole Valley?
SandraR

Don't often get there - nearest is Newton Abbott but maybe worth checking out. Cornwall Farmers are an extortionate price.
Bodger

If they are anything like the boxes from Wynnstay, then you're paying more for the same boxes that you get from E-bay.

Presentation is everything. Our type of customer, (Sandrar and Chez's too) want to know as much about the eggs and all about the hens too.
chez

Definitely. Coz I'm selling at the market as well as from the gate, they've got to be robust enough to be shoved in someone's shopping basket, which makes a difference - I do buy those cheap grey ones if I run out, but they don't last nearly as long when people bring them back to be refilled - I think they're a false economy. The only advantage of them is that they are slightly bigger than the better quality ones, so they're good for duck eggs.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home