Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
earthyvirgo

Egg custard over blackberries (question not recipe)

My elderly Dad is currently recovering from a broken femur and period in hospital. He's struggling with regaining his interest in food, so Doc has prescribed all sorts of flavoured Complans ...which he's not at all keen on.

I was wondering about using them to make a baked custard mix but wanted to make it without a pastry case and just bake it over blackberries, or blackberry and apple.

Would that work?
I've never made (shame on me) a baked custard
Embarassed

EV
joanne

That sounds lovely and yes would work, you could do something like this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2539641/blackberry-custard-tarts but make them without pastry in muffin cases
dpack

custard is banned in this house (not by me Laughing ) and yes and it sounds delightful

if you want to up the calories per spoonful adding some ground almonds over the berries(it also absorbs some of the juice which is good)and using cream instead of milk works .

iirc pilsbury is the ds expert on invalid foods and recommended some good ones a while back.

hope your dad gets better soon ,injuries take a while longer to heal in older folk but i have seen a few remarkable recoveries.

ps if he is on opiate pain relief small tasty things with fruit in are just what he needs.
earthyvirgo

custard is banned in this house (not by me Laughing ) and yes and it sounds delightful

if you want to up the calories per spoonful adding some ground almonds over the berries(it also absorbs some of the juice which is good)and using cream instead of milk works .

iirc pilsbury is the ds expert on invalid foods and recommended some good ones a while back.

hope your dad gets better soon ,injuries take a while longer to heal in older folk but i have seen a few remarkable recoveries.

ps if he is on opiate pain relief small tasty things with fruit in are just what he needs.

He (Pilsbury) did dpack and I think it was for my Dad last time too!
I'll have a search for the earlier thread.

EV
Pilsbury

Lol thanks for that.
If it's the flavoured ensure milk drinks then they should set fine in an egg custard, just careful not to over cook them.
You should also be able to set them with a cornflour mix so they will set like a blamange.
I would measure out the cornflour to set twice the amount of ensure you have i.e. 200ml ensure and then take 200ml of milk, mix enough milk with the cornflour to make a paste and then heat the rest of the milk, when boiling take ofvthe heat, pour I the cornflour and stir and then quickly add the ensure and stir, the whole lot should set up when cold but without boiling the ensure and loosing some of the vitamins.
Falstaff

Lol thanks for that.
If it's the flavoured ensure milk drinks then they should set fine in an egg custard, just careful not to over cook them.
You should also be able to set them with a cornflour mix so they will set like a blamange.
I would measure out the cornflour to set twice the amount of ensure you have i.e. 200ml ensure and then take 200ml of milk, mix enough milk with the cornflour to make a paste and then heat the rest of the milk, when boiling take ofvthe heat, pour I the cornflour and stir and then quickly add the ensure and stir, the whole lot should set up when cold but without boiling the ensure and loosing some of the vitamins.

So how much cornfloUr to set 200 ml milk please ?
dpack

a big teaspoonful usually does the job if it has time in a fridge a bit more wont harm but less might be a bit sloppy

so long as it is cooked (above about 80 c iirc)for a few mins it should set ,boil is bad ,or so i was told by peter the chef.

far more reliable than gelatine or other gelling agents like agar,arrowroot etc
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home