Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Shan

Eggs

I have such clever chickens... the old dears have started laying again and I have had 3 eggs from Roadrunner (our turkey). Very Happy
wellington womble

My new pullets are just starting up. Hurrah for (nearly) spring.
Shan

Always so satisfying.
Bodger

My two setts of geese have both made nests, I don't think it will be long before they lay.
My older hens and pullets are laying but after being kept in for a couple of months, the yolks have gone very pale. Crying or Very sad
dpack

with them being in are they getting an increasing day length from either windows or keeping the lights on a bit longer each day?

i'm curious about how much difference lighting makes to the timing of the spring lay

(and thinking whether the winter egg strike could be avoided entirely with a small domestic flock)
Bodger

My geese have laid their first egg of the season today and its a whopper too.  :chufted: That's pretty early I reckon. thumbup
Shan

Very early. When we had geese, they normally only started laying mid to late Feb.
Woodburner

My two setts of geese have both made nests, I don't think it will be long before they lay.
My older hens and pullets are laying but after being kept in for a couple of months, the yolks have gone very pale. Crying or Very sad

If you feed them mash, try mixing in some chopped alfalfa. (No point with pellets or grain, it just goes to the bottom and gets left.)
Bodger

Sod that, the eggs taste just the same. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home