Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Hairyloon

Elder flutes

Apparently, flutes made of elder have been used since the beginning of time, but does anybody here know how to actually do it?
Or possibly the question is: how do you get a note out of it, since the making seems quite easy: get an elder stick, take the pith and cut some finger holes...
I've tried that, and it doesn't seem even close to making a noise. Confused
Nell Merionwen

reeds? No actual practical experience, just a wild guess.
sally_in_wales

are you doing a blow over the top one, a notched one, or one with a fipple hole cut in it?
Usually, get a note out of the tube by whatever sounding method you choose, then put the first hole halfway between that and the bottom
Hairyloon

are you doing a blow over the top one, a notched one, or one with a fipple hole cut in it?

Any of the above... except I've not found any guidance on how to do them. Confused
Most of what I've found on google have been much the same: for example like this...
sally_in_wales

try articles like this that explain the mechanics a bit better
http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/
jamanda

Any good?
Hairyloon

Tidy... they look promising. Thanks, I'll let you know drekly... or possibly sooner.
MikeM

many, many years ago, when at school, I learnt to play the flute (play being a subjective word). I recall the 1st several lessons were on how to get a noise out of the thing, the next several were on how to get a pleasant noise. Then we learnt to play some tunes. As an instrument there are significant barriers to entry, unlike, say a guitar or piano.
I still have my old flute knocking around, keep meaning to learn to play it again.
Hairyloon

many, many years ago, when at school, I learnt to play the flute (play being a subjective word).

Yes, likewise. I am not entirely unfamiliar with the concepts.

Any good?
OK, tried that: it'll make a whistle, but I can't flaut it: works for a short blind tube with a single note, but not a longer open one...
At least, not for me so far...
MikeM

many, many years ago, when at school, I learnt to play the flute (play being a subjective word).
Yes, likewise. I am not entirely unfamiliar with the concepts.

excellent, then you're no doubt aware that it takes quite precise lip shape and breathing to get a good note. I'm sure with perserverance you'll get there.
Hairyloon

excellent, then you're no doubt aware that it takes quite precise lip shape and breathing to get a good note.
Yes, but is not so hard to get some suggestion of a note...
The relevant question is: is it the flute or the flautist?
Sherbs

how soft is the wood and how clean is the hole inside? I've had fifes and pipes made of lots of different substances and some are a lot harder to blow than others. I think it makes a lot of difference whether the inside of the hole is stripped back very smooth or if it is rough. Hairyloon

I think it makes a lot of difference whether the inside of the hole is stripped back very smooth or if it is rough.
It certainly does. To start there was no hint of a sound, but once I'd sanded the inside, I could get a bit of a whistle by blowing hard...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home