Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Lorrainelovesplants

elder

has anyone done elder from cuttings?
Ive seen a beautiful purple leaved cultivar, and fancy one, but would like to attempt a cutting.....
Tavascarow

They are supposed to be easy from hardwood cutting struck outdoors when dormant.
I've never had much luck that way & took cuttings late winter while still dormant & potted them in the greenhouse/tunnel with plastic over them to maintain humidity.
Gritty compost in both cases.
IMHO I would try both methods & one is sure to work for you.
Smile
Falstaff

most people try to kill them rather than propagate them don't they ? Shocked

I don't think softwood cuttings would go - but try 'em anyway.

I'm not convinced aboutr hardwood either because of all that pith and teh thin wood layer - but again try a lot !

Dipp everything in rooting compound !

If there is a flower head still with buds, you might try a plastic bag and a rubber band to stop pollen getting in and bash the bag now and agin as the flowers develop - try to get the berries to self fertilise ? Then grow from berries ?

Dunno - Do let us know how it goes ! Cool
Hairyloon

I think elder is about the easiest thing I know of to propagate: I've used it for bean poles a few times because they were convenient and they've taken root every time...
Nicky Colour it green

Re: elder

has anyone done elder from cuttings?
Ive seen a beautiful purple leaved cultivar, and fancy one, but would like to attempt a cutting.....

accidentally - we put some wood for logging leaning up against an outbuilding, and we now have elder growing there.. as it just rooted where it was.
Falstaff

Well ! They do say "You learn something every day ....!" Cool
Lorrainelovesplants

Well, if I try the 'accidental'method and the rooting powder, Im bound to have some success!
Ill let you know...
Shan

It's called Sambucus Nigra. I have 2 in my garden and they are beautiful but you have to prune them quite hard every year if you want them to retain their colour, otherwise, they revert to green.
Tavascarow

Sambucus nigra is the latin for the common elder.
There are purple cultivars 'Black Beauty' is one I have.
There are purple fern leaved elders as well (Sambucus Racemosa), an American species that has red berries. Although I've never seen it produce in these parts.
My favourite is Sambucus Racemosa plumosa aurea. A beautiful yellow fern leaved elder that absolutely glows when the sun catches it.
Shan

Ooops. Anyway, mine looks like this:

and the second one like this:

Tavascarow

The first one is a racemosa cultivar, the second a nigra.

Smile
Lorrainelovesplants

Its the nigra one Im looking for. Smile
Lorrainelovesplants

Lorrainelovesplants

Lorrainelovesplants

oops! sorry! Trigger happy finger!
Hairyloon

Might I introduce you to the "delete" button?
If you don't see it, then say so and then look on your new post...
Tavascarow

If you want some cuttings from mine remind me in the Autumn when the leaves fall.
Nicky Colour it green

it' very pretty - can you use it to make champagne the same? does it make pink champagne?
Shan

You can use it to make pink champagne.
Lorrainelovesplants

Hi Tavascarrow - yes, I'd love you to try and take some cuttings - thats would be fab,

and yes, Id love to make some pink elderflower champagne.
Shan

The flowers are so pretty, you won't want to pick them.
Tavascarow

From what I've been told the champagne is the same colour as from white flowers.
Tavascarow

Hi Tavascarrow - yes, I'd love you to try and take some cuttings - thats would be fab,

I will try & remember but you will probably have to remind me.
The cultivar I have is Black beauty, I also have the variegated Sambucus nigra 'variegata' if you want a contrast.
Nick

I will try & remember but you will probably have to remind me.
The cultivar I have is Black beauty, I also have the variegated Sambucus nigra 'variegata' if you want a contrast.

Will that make stripy champagne?
Shan

From what I've been told the champagne is the same colour as from white flowers.

I used some of the white and the coloured flowers together and it took on a salmony tint. I didn't use very many of the dark flowers as I couldn't bear to.
gregotyn

I make the cordial when I get time and it is lovely. If I want a fizzy drink I use Morrisons' Elderflower and Pear, bites the back of the throat nicely, but the shop I go in has stopped selling it for some reason-was I the only one buying it in Welshpool? Mistress Rose

Probably not Gregotyn. They seem to stop things for no apparent reason. Currently the shop I use doesn't do either type of toothpaste husband likes and this week there was a complete lack of any dates. LynneA

One of the plants I had to take cuttings from for my organic hort course all those years ago was a black elder.

I had to take six cuttings, talk the examiner through my method (which garnered the comment "Brutal, but Correct) and care regime as part of our practical exam.

I was the only student who had all six cuttings survive. I swapped three for other plants, and still have the others - two in containers, and one planted at the shadier top of the garden. This one has thrived, and at nine years old (and in the ground for eight years) it has had to be pruned to stop it blocking the light from the back bedroom.

At this time of year there should be plenty of material to take softwood cuttings as well as heeled cuttings, so maybe have a go at a batch of each?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home