Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Ty Gwyn

Elderberries and Blackberries

Elderberries and Blackberries,anyone fairly local want them,shame for them to waste.
mochyn

It looks like it's going to be a good year for both here.
Ty Gwyn

Yes it does seem a good year for both,just thought if anyone local wanted them,as it was a shame last year ,when they all dropped.
Green Rosie

Same here in Normandy, although the blackberries are smaller than normal. We also have masses of rose-hips but almost no sloes.
earthmamma

Apparently elderberry and blackberry wine is rather nice Wink Smile
Jamanda

Apparently elderberry and blackberry wine is rather nice Wink Smile

It is! But there are no elderberries here this year Sad
wildfoodie

Bramble and elderberry cordial

loads round here. Have just made an experimental batch of bramble and elderberry cordial - a colander of mixed berries stewed in 800ml water, strain, add 700g sugar and 10ml lemon juice to 800ml berry juice then bottle.
Dilute to taste with gin and fizzy water Laughing
earthmamma

Sounds like a goer, Ta for sharing. Very Happy
welsh veg grower

Re: Bramble and elderberry cordial

loads round here. Have just made an experimental batch of bramble and elderberry cordial - a colander of mixed berries stewed in 800ml water, strain, add 700g sugar and 10ml lemon juice to 800ml berry juice then bottle.
Dilute to taste with gin and fizzy water Laughing

do you heat them up? I hae loads of elderberry's seems a waste to leave them.
wildfoodie

yes you put your colander of berries into a pan with 800ml water and cook gently for around 20mins, to soften and mush the berries. I used a potato masher after cooking to make sure all the berries had released their juice. . Sherbs

Just picked a bowlful of blackberries yesterday, they all seem pretty small round here and a lot aren't even nearly ripe yet. I'm planning to make blackberry syrup, I made it before and froze it in small amounts and we used it on ice-cream and as a mixer for ages. earthyvirgo

Best they've been for a few years round here.

Some places are patchy and lots aren't going to have time to ripen but find the right spot ...sunny bank or scrambling over a stone wall to warm them, they're big and very juicy.

EV
wildfoodie

Don't dismiss the drier ones, they often have a really good flavour that comes out in cooking, particularly for jellies and jams, when mixed with cookers or crab apples. I prefer the fatter juicier blackberries for pies and raw eating. It's worth tasting as you pick to check the flavours. If you have a lot of flabby low acidity ones, hunt around for dewberries which are exceptionally fat and full this year. They're a lot higher in acidity and are good for pepping up the blackberry flavour. earthyvirgo

Don't dismiss the drier ones, they often have a really good flavour that comes out in cooking, particularly for jellies and jams, when mixed with cookers or crab apples. I prefer the fatter juicier blackberries for pies and raw eating. It's worth tasting as you pick to check the flavours. If you have a lot of flabby low acidity ones, hunt around for dewberries which are exceptionally fat and full this year. They're a lot higher in acidity and are good for pepping up the blackberry flavour.

Thanks for that tip, haven't checked the dewberries at all this year. They grow really well on the edge of the dunes nr Llanddwyn Island. In fact Anglesey is much better than the mainland for b'berries most years.

I was hoping for one more weekend of picking so will check next w/e.

EV
Sherbs

Don't dismiss the drier ones, they often have a really good flavour that comes out in cooking, particularly for jellies and jams

That's why I use them for syrup rather than eating them fresh or making a pie. I made some today though it didn't come out as syrupy as last year it's still good mixed with yoghurt or as a general flavouring.
gz

I extract the juice for cordial in a bowl over a pan of water. ISTR half a pint of water per pound with the mixed berries.
Very good with hot water on a cold and wet day, spices to taste Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home