Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
sally_in_wales

Elderflowers, coming to a hedge near you...

The very first Elderflowers of the season came into bloom today round here, lots more to come, have really just seem one or two open clusters so far, but time to dig out those recipes Cool
wellington womble

Mine are just starting too. now, do I want elderflowers, or elderberries? Confused
sally_in_wales

I always find a few flowers go a very long way, whilst I can use a lot more berries, so I enjoy making a few elderflower fritters and a bottle or two of cordial, but I generally leave most of our local ones for berries Very Happy
Stewy

wellington womble wrote:
Mine are just starting too. now, do I want elderflowers, or elderberries? Confused

Why can't you have both Womble?
nettie

Yay, cordial time!!!! Very Happy
2steps

my tree has a few, haven't looked in the park yet Smile there are so many trees here I can pick plenty of flowers and berries. I want to start some elderflower wine and also do some jam as our jam stocks are getting low
dpack

as well as eats n drinks elder flower tea (cold)is a nice eyebath for hayfever etc .
a strong infusion of leaf twig and flower is good on burns .
flower fritters with a light n crispy sweet batter yum yum yum
useful tree
Pilsbury

thought i saw some the other day, i really want the berries though for jam but then again is there a recipe for cordial anywhere.....
Naomi

Elderflowers are very late opening here in Lincs this year.
Looks like we should have plenty of them though, so I shall be able to make fritters and gooseberry and eldeflower fool as well as elderflower cordial and wine and still have enough berries for my elderberry jam and elderberry wine too.

Anyone got any new and exciting recipes using elderflowers or berries?

I have used elderberries in an apple pie recipe and it was lovely.My friend makes elderberry cordial and drinks it warm in winter. Think I will try that too
ksia

We've lots here now so plenty of cordial, wine and 'champagne' on the go and I'm full of elderflower fritters at the minute! Think we're off to collect more tomorrow! There's lots round here so we're looking forward to the berries.

Re: the 'champagne' can it be frozen? We've alot to drink within 3 weeks otherwise and it'd be great to do more...

Karen
Penny Outskirts

Does anyone have a recipe for Fritters? Sounds scrummy...
Naomi

Anyone made elderflower yogurt? I imagine it would be a lovely refreshing flavour for yogurt, but what would be the best way to capture the elderflower taste.?....in a syrup added to plain yogurt perhaps???
2steps

Naomi wrote:

I have used elderberries in an apple pie recipe and it was lovely.My friend makes elderberry cordial and drinks it warm in winter. Think I will try that too

I've made elderberry and apple and elderberry, apple and blackberry pies which are lovely Very Happy I use the cooking water from the fruit to make a squash to drink too, saves wasting it Very Happy

Also use elderberries in hedgerow jam
Penny Outskirts

Just did a search for Elderflower Fritters on Google and selfsufficientish came up first - well done Andy Very Happy

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/elder.htm
selfsufficientish

Have a search for self sufficient Wink

Yep there is elder cordial, champagne and wine all on there too. Nice to see it all coming into bloom.
hardworkinghippy

Crikey,

You're well ahead of us here for elder flowers, ours are just opening. But we've had Acacia for the last week or so for fritters, so I'm leaving our (newly planted) trees to set fruit for alcohol. Twisted Evil

Irene
cab

hardworkinghippy wrote:
Crikey,

You're well ahead of us here for elder flowers, ours are just opening. But we've had Acacia for the last week or so for fritters, so I'm leaving our (newly planted) trees to set fruit for alcohol. Twisted Evil

Irene

Elderflowers are all over the place this year. Funny old season we're having, the elders started flowering sporadically at the same time as last year, but whereas by this time last year there were loads they're still flowering quite shyly in these parts.
glenwine

I went down the riverbank yesterday hoping to return laden with elderflowers. Alas they are still nowhere near opening yet here in Scotland. However, I brought back a bagful of wild garlic leaves, dandelion leaves, dandelion heads and nettle tips, and although the wild leeks have died back now I collected a bag of bulbules- tasty mouthwatering blisters of flavour! The elderflower fritters and champagne will just have to wait a little longer.
ksia

All our brews are bubbling nicely..if getting a chance to before we drink them!

Has anyone tried making candied fruit from the fruit in the elderflower wine or cordial? It'd be a great way to make use of it and hopefully would have an elderflower flavour.

Karen
2steps

the flowers are starting to open here Very Happy
tahir

Plenty in flower round my way, no time to harvest though Sad
rhyddid

Re: Elderflowers, coming to a hedge near you...

sally_in_wales wrote:
The very first Elderflowers of the season came into bloom today round here, lots more to come, have really just seem one or two open clusters so far, but time to dig out those recipes Cool

It's funny you should mention Elderflower, as I've been three or four times on countryside treks this week and haven't been able to find any. There must be some sort of weather 'differential' within the South Wales Valleys.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home