Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Elders looking good

I'll be revisiting them in good time. Most of the hedgerow was loaded with green berries.

Nicky Colour it green

they do seem loaded round and about - what do you intend to use them for?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Erm. Dunno?
Nicky Colour it green

oh ok Smile
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Laughing

I was thinking some kind of jam / preserve / sauce / relish? I try not to go mad with sugar so syrup is kinda out. Wait, how is cassis made? Wrong fruit but close enough Rolling Eyes
DorsetScott

They make a lovely wine, a pretty good infusion, really nice leather 50/50 with apples, pontack sauce (although you're meant to leave that 7 years), I personally find they work better in hedgerow jam mixed with other hedgerow berries, and a pretty good pickle.

Just off the top of my head Smile
Mistress Rose

Hedgerow jam is good, and they aren't bad in a bramble wine, but on their own they are rather too tanniny for my taste.
sgt.colon

I'd say some Pontac as well. Also you could do an Elderberry Rob, that's nice.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I have no idea what they are Laughing
sgt.colon

I have no idea what they are Laughing

Sorry. Embarassed

Here is the Rob recipe

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=65228&highlight=elderberry+rob

Now I'm sure I've typed up the Pontac recipe on here but I'm just having trouble locating it at the moment. Smile
sgt.colon

Found it. Smile

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=65071&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pontack&start=15
sean

I've added those two to the recipe database. Thanks.
If you search on it for elderberry there are a few other suggestions too.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Someone has cut that hedge Mad Treacodactyl

Ours are being eaten almost as quick as they ripen. I must get round to collecting some berries for seed this year to add to my hedging activities. Cool Jamanda

I noticed a tree with ripe berries and a few new blossoms on at the same time last weekend. Mistress Rose

Sadly now is the time of hedge cutting NMG. Treacodactyl, I would go easy with elder in a hedge as it has a bad habit of dying for no apparent reason and leaving a gappy hedge.

Have picked a few berries from the woods and will add them to the bramble wine.
Treacodactyl

Treacodactyl, I would go easy with elder in a hedge as it has a bad habit of dying for no apparent reason and leaving a gappy hedge.

The hedge will be a shrubby woodland margin, so not a problem.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home