Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
boisdevie1

Electric boat engines

I've just got a 14 foot dingy and wondered whether those electric engines are any good. I'm planning to use the boat to get a bit offshore for fishing and also puttering around on the canal.
Jonnyboy

It'll be no use offshore, dangerous even. You'll need at least two petrol outboards or 1 outboard and a set of oars as the minimum. Plus all the safety gear etc.
dpack

yep

i didnt like broken motor +bad weather +small boat

if my bike battery goes flat im unlikely to drown but ....
boisdevie1

Can I clarify - it's a 14 foot dingy and my idea of offshore is about 500 metres - and I'd carry oars just in case.
dpack

at sea starts as soon as one floats

be sensible and have fun ,
boisdevie1

I have my day skipper certificate and to be honest 500 metres offshore = dry land when the tide goes out. I shall be careful.

Slightly related question, if you are offshore like this, what's the best way of fishing - for example, could I stream a line of hooks off the back of the boat? Or could I think about streaming a net?
Hairyloon

I have my day skipper certificate and to be honest 500 metres offshore = dry land when the tide goes out.

Though not if it takes you out with it...
I agree though; if the Good Lord had meant us to put to sea, he'd have given us something to hold oars with. Confused
dpack

as to method of fishing it depends on what sort of fish you have

a simple plan is to put a deep line with bait at various depths and try spinning while you wait to see what is where

fish finding sonar is a real help Laughing
vegplot

I'd only use electric only boat on a lake, one where you can see the opposite shore.
Bodger

Definately not the right kit for the sea. I like your posting and would miss it. thumbup
Jonnyboy

Can I clarify - it's a 14 foot dingy and my idea of offshore is about 500 metres - and I'd carry oars just in case.

offshore wind + outgoing tide would overwhelm it fairly easily IMHO.
stumbling goat

Entirely up to you if you want to go a third of a mile off shore without taking sensible precautions.

Can you outrow an outgoing tide? With an injury?

Think worst case scenario, and plan to be able to cope with that, and stay safe.

sg
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home