Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Nell Merionwen

electric clothes airers.

BA and I are constantly battling the laundry mountain and trying to dry it.
I don't particularly want a tumble dryer as I find them quite expensive to run. However, with the damp problem we could do without wet washing hanging around for any length of time.
I'm looking at an airer/dryer like this Dri Buddi
has anyone had any experience with them?
RichardW

As that does not vent externally it will still in the end put the same total amount of moisture into the air as having the washing hanging around for longer.

Also as its 1200watts its still quite a large consumer of power. Less than a tumble dryer but I am betting that it will need to be on for longer so in the end use about the same total amount of energy.

Cheaper on eBay too.
Katieowl

I've got one of the Lakeland ones...per hour they are cheap to run, but the need to be on for a lot longer than a tumble drier, so IIRC it worked out about 75p a day when I used the power monitor gadget on it. That having been said, I don't know how I managed without it. I can dry DS's stuff that can't be tumble dried (it shrinks, it's expensive, he's tall, he complains) flat on it, and it's brilliant for that. I dry my t-shirts and fleeces on it too, and hand knitted socks.

You need to fashion some kind of a cover for the lakeland one to keep the heat in, I'm using an old duvet cover.

Kate
Nell Merionwen

I was hoping it would reduce drying time. that way if I had the window open it wouldn't have to be open at night.
Katieowl

I'm running mine in the conservatory...so I don't know if the condensation on the windows in the morning is from the drier, or just the warmth it produces?

If you could tumble dry in an hour, and that was vented, to be honest I think it works out cheaper?

Kate
Barefoot Andrew

Hopefully though we'll have the laundry mountain under control soon. Combing two houses into one was always going to make Lots Of Work, and once we've cleared the last three big bags we'll be down to normal family levels of laundry. He said, hopefully.
A.
alison

If it just getting laundry under control I would be tempted to book a day, take washing to launderette, and get it done. Book or knitting, packed lunch and use as many machines as possible.
Nick

If it just getting laundry under control I would be tempted to book a day, take washing to launderette, and get it done. Book or knitting, packed lunch and use as many machines as possible.

This, with your smart phone, and I promise you there'll be no kids there. Smile
nats

I've got one of the Lakeland ones...per hour they are cheap to run, but the need to be on for a lot longer than a tumble drier, so IIRC it worked out about 75p a day when I used the power monitor gadget on it. That having been said, I don't know how I managed without it. I can dry DS's stuff that can't be tumble dried (it shrinks, it's expensive, he's tall, he complains) flat on it, and it's brilliant for that. I dry my t-shirts and fleeces on it too, and hand knitted socks.

You need to fashion some kind of a cover for the lakeland one to keep the heat in, I'm using an old duvet cover.

Kate

Is this what you are using? I'm umming and ahing about getting one of these - now I've gone back to work I can see the washing mountain mounting..... 8 year old 6 year old baby, cloth nappies, and husband who cycles hence getting sweaty but has to look neat and tidy at work all adds up. I get a uniform at work but still....
Katieowl

Yes that's the one I have. If you read through the reviews you will say that most people say that it dries best when the clothes are laid flat on it, rather than hung on the rungs, and that certainly seems to be the case.

It's useful that you can half unfold it (to a small rectangle) rather than HAVE to use it full opened (big square IYSWIM) Washing needs turning over occassionally to dry properly. Here in wet Wales it's been a godsend for the stuff I can't tumble dry. I got so sick of it hanging over the Rayburn in the kitchen, which is way too small to double as laundry. I keep the rack in the outside laundry in the summer, I do use the line if it's not raining though! And I've currently got it in the conservatory which has no heating, so I'm hoping we are getting a little of the benefit from any heat generated.

It dries towels crispy...so you might not want to put nappies on it.

Kate
Cathryn

This, with your smart phone, and I promise you there'll be no kids there. Smile

This is a very very good idea, thank you Alison. We had a 21st birthday party here over the new year and I haven't got around to doing any of our washing while all the family were around.
sean

Drop it in on your way to work and pay for a service wash. Even easier. nats

Brill thanks - good to have someone I "know" review it rather than the faceless people on Lakelands site! I might be able to persuade husband!! I was thinking that it might not be good for nappies but might keep the clothes ticking over and leave other spaces I have free for nappies. And it might be OK with the fleece nappies but probably not the terry/toweling ones... Nell Merionwen

Drop it in on your way to work and pay for a service wash. Even easier.

It is looking likely that that will happen Laughing
I also want to get out duvets washed so it will be trip to the laundrette anyway.
Katieowl

Yes but note the running cost I stated earlier...It might only be 7p an hour but X 24 it's £1.64 a day. Mines been on for four days since Fin decided everything on the floor in his room was washing! Shocked

Kate
nats

got to be cheaper than a tumble dryer though Katieowl

Nope it isn't - hard to believe I know. Tumble drier was 30p ish a load on for about an hour... I can't remember exactly, we bought one of those energy monitor gadgets, and I was very surprised, they are a good invesment! Fun to check how much it all uses.

Trouble is we have a lot of stuff we can't tumble. Fin's blasted Nike stuff, and traccie bottoms, he's 6'3 and stuff shrinks badly if I tumble dry it. Our fleece jumpers, and my work stuff, go on it.... I tumble all the bedding, towels and teatowels.

Kate
nats

we have an Owl - it needs batteries!

I didn't realise that it wouldn't work out cheaper than a tumbler. Start up costs are lower of course, and it wouldn't mean rearranging the garage but.... out of interest are your costs based on a condensing tumbler or vented? Don't think we'll be able to get a vented one in and I think condensing ones are dearer to run...
Katieowl

Mine is a vented drier...and it's quite a new one - so I assume reasonably energy efficient.

Kate
nats

Which best buy tumblers are £500 odd though - the clothes airer may yet work out cheaper! sean

You can buy a lot of 'leccy for four-hundred and odd quid, for sure.
I'll probably get one. There's nowhere sensible here to put a tumble drier and most of the time we don't need one. Something to give an occasional boost to the drying capacity seems like just the ticket.
Katieowl

Surprised Mine wasn't anthing like £500....it's a hotpoint IIRC (you know look at it daily and couldn't pick it out of a lineup!) think it was about £200

Kate
nats

I've found one on Which that is just over £200 which we are looking at. I've a feeling it may work out more sensible in the long run, and save me stress which has to be worth ££££££££ It's a Beko and has very good reviews! Katieowl

If you haven't got a tumble drier, really do think that is your best bet with the kids laundry TBH.

Rack thingy gave me my kitchen back...so it was a problem solver for me, but I realised I just had to suck up the running costs of drying the laundry. My kitchen is a corridor from the rest of the house to the living room and garden, and is a place people lounge about with tea and stuff despite being too small, I'm constantly moving people out! Having a drying rack in front of the Rayburn and stuff hanging over it drove us all nuts!

Kate
Rosanne

If you have a rayburn buy an oldfashioned dryer that hangs from the ceiling with 4 rails, you can pull it up and down out of the way alice

I hang laundry in a small room with a good dehumidifier. It dries quickly and I know where the water is going. robkb

Funny

we'll have the laundry mountain under control soon

I was going to go trekking in the Himalaya's once, but then I realised that walking around the foothills of our laundry pile would be a) cheaper, and b) just as exhausting.
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing
A.
earthyvirgo

If you have a rayburn buy an oldfashioned dryer that hangs from the ceiling with 4 rails, you can pull it up and down out of the way

I think however you're heating the house, having one of those is probably a good idea to make use of rising heat. It only sits up near the ceiling doing nothing otherwise.

We found room for ours on the landing, so it's doesn't clutter a living space.

EV
Nell Merionwen

If you have a rayburn buy an oldfashioned dryer that hangs from the ceiling with 4 rails, you can pull it up and down out of the way

I wish!
earthyvirgo

I wish!

We've only got a small woodburner in the kitchen Nell. It's incredibly effective as the heat wafts up the stairs.

EV
Nell Merionwen

I think however you're heating the house, having one of those is probably a good idea to make use of rising heat. It only sits up near the ceiling doing nothing otherwise.

We found room for ours on the landing, so it's doesn't clutter a living space.

EV

This may be the way we go.
Katieowl

I used to have a pull up rack in our place in London it hung in the hall where it was really out of the way...the general heat from the kitchen and the Aga used to dry stuff on it...together with a breeze if the back door was open. Regret the kitchen here is too tiny to hang a rack, and to be honest, as I'm doing B&B, and cooking guests breakfasts in there I'd really not want the kitchen festooned with our undies Embarassed

Kate
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home