Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Mrs R

electric fencing for eejits - batteries in particular

OK I need some electric fencing - it's got to power some cattle wire for strip grazing and also some poultry netting.

I gather a leisure battery is the best thing to use but there are so many different kinds - what am i looking for to best suit this purpose? i've seen some with 'extreme deep cycling' and allsorts and no idea what that means Rolling Eyes

specific product recommendations welcome!
Mary-Jane

Gervase has just gone out Ixy - he's good on this. He'll be back in a couple of hours - I'll direct him to this thread. I'm sure other advice will be along in a bit though.
Mrs R

many thanks! Very Happy
dpack

the stuff i got seems good
80ah battery was about 50 quid from ebay ,i think it was from a boat based business
car batteries are made to do large current for a few seconds a fence needs micro current for a long time
my solar top up panels (ebay )were £10 each and 3 seem to keep the battery topped up
an energiser that will run on 4 a size dry cells as well as 12volt is handy for when you take the 12v for a recharge
you need a unit made for the length of fence you need to run and a good spark energy allows for rain ,twigs and curious dogs Rolling Eyes
go for one size up from the minimum you need and trust it is working or use a meter
Treacodactyl

Here's an old thread with a couple of links on them if you have the time to read them. http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=22360
Mrs R

thanks for that - where do i get solar trickle wotsits from?
Mrs R

are these the things?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98358&doy=28m3&C=SO&U=strat15

how does this work? do you have a spare you leave trickel charging and then leave the other to work and swap, or do these things hook up to the battery while it's working - if so, how? the terminals would be linked to the fence..

...see, i know nusseeng
dpack

they have diodes to prevent back current and stay attached to the battery terminals in my rig .with 3 in parallel they put out 17 v at about 1.5 w on a grey day a bit less than the fence uses but extending the recharge cycle by lots
Mrs R

that seems cool Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home