Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
T.G

Electric underfloor heating?

Now we've ripped the back rooms of the house to bits we're considering a totally new layout.

I don't want the main boiler supporting the heating in these rooms, therefore, we were looking at alternatives.

Underfloor electric heating seems a good possible, as the main house has original stone floors and parquet in most of the rooms we don't have it already. I assume some of you will have it already so my questions are:

1. Is it capable of being the only source of heating in a small room off about 11 x 10, the room has been recently rebuilt and is suitably insulated?

2. If the answer is yes to question 1. Would it also be capable of heating a room with a high ceiling? If not would a combination of underfloor heating on the ground floor and on the mezzanine be adequate?

3. How easy is it to add in to the system or do they all have to be on their own individual thermostat?

4. Some of the reading I've been doing suggest screed over the electric heating pads and then tiling others suggest tiling can be put straight over the electric pads, has anyone any experience and favours one method over the other?

Cheers Very Happy
T.G

Aha!

I have just had a very helpful phone call conversation with a chap called Micheal at The Underfloor Heating Store on 0800 0778374.

In answer to my questions.

1. Yes, a 150w is capable of being used as a primary heating source.

2. He said it was more a personal call, as it would depend on how big an area it was and other factors such as how insulated it is. In what way it's connected to the rest of the house, etc.

Yes, I could underfloor heat the mezzanine but I would need the under wooden floor underfloor heating system (unless I was tiling the floor up there), not the one I'd been talking to him about.

3. Each mat connects to the thermostat individually and so in theory it's as easy as that. However, he pointed out that it is wiser to zone the heating as if the hall went to temp it would cut the heating for all the connected areas regardless.

4. He pointed out it wasn't insulation over the electric pads as that would reduce the heat Rolling Eyes it was screed.

Although you can tile directly it's not advised as trowels get sharp and can damage the pads so a few millimeters of SLS is recommended.

Just thought I'd give the information as I'd sourced it in case it was of use to anyone else Very Happy The link below is the product.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Underfloor-Heating-mat-kit-150w-per-m2-All-Sizes-in-this-Listing-/390413745064?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&var=&hash=item5ae678fba8
vegplot

If you're considering electric underfloor heating then it might be worth considering going a step further with air or ground source heat pump. That way you'll get a great heating effect for the same amount of leccy.
T.G

If you're considering electric underfloor heating then it might be worth considering going a step further with air or ground source heat pump. That way you'll get a great heating effect for the same amount of leccy.

I'm clearly showing my ignorance here but is the GSHP the same as geothermic heating or something entirely different?

As to the air source heat pump I have no eye deer what that is Neutral
vegplot

Heat pumps take a large volume of low grade heat and convert it into smaller volume of heat but at a higher temperature. The conversion needs energy in the form of electricity but the total heat gain can be 4-5 times as much compared to heating with electricity alone. The effect is often described as a fridge in reverse which is essentially what it is. Stick a large version of the ice box in the ground and the heat exchanger under your floor and you have under floor ground sourced heating.

The low grade heat source is often a body of water, an area of ground, or the open air. Air based heat pumps are less efficient as the air temperature drops, even to the point where the gain is negative. Ground or water source is more stable and provides better efficiency but have a higher capital outlay.
Cathryn

Air source do not work very well. We researched this very recently for a house that we were renovating. If you have the land and are already taking up the floors then look into ground source.
T.G

Ah.

That sounds interesting. Although not sure it's suitable for this project as the floors are already in and they've been concreted.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home