Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
moogie

Electrical wiring for outside

My old gas greenhouse heater has become rather unsafe, and I have been given a brand new electric one by someone for free!! Trouble is I obvuisly now need to set up an outdoor extention lead to connect it from my house supply to the greenhouse, about 40 feet down the garden. What do I need and how do I do it? Is it fairly simple (I can wire lights and plugs and things) or do I need an electrician?
sean

You need a separate circuit for a supply to any detached outhouse to meet legal regs.
moogie

err, so I need an electrician then?
sean

Not necessarily. I'd get one but I'm scared of electrickery.
Blacksmith

Not got my 16 th edition regs but, Iwould have thought if you used an extension lead with an RCD on it, its no different to using an elecrtic lawnmower ?
Screwfix do O/S plugs and sockets that meet spec, but to wire permantly you would need a registered 16 th ( or is it 17 th now ?) edition qualified electrician.
Dave
footprints

outdoor eleccy

Blacksmith wrote:
Not got my 16 th edition regs but, Iwould have thought if you used an extension lead with an RCD on it, its no different to using an elecrtic lawnmower ?
Screwfix do O/S plugs and sockets that meet spec, but to wire permantly you would need a registered 16 th ( or is it 17 th now ?) edition qualified electrician.
Dave
Since around January of this year it was made a criminal offence to install new supplies or outlets for use in kitchens, bathrooms, or for external supplies.

No problem with the extention lead, plug in RCD makes good sense. Want to fit something a little more permanent and its not just a qualified spark you need, the sparky also reeds to be registered under the part P scheme. This is now controlled by the local authority building control. All work that is "notifiable" has to have the appropriate paper work issued and copies sent to building control. Don't do it, and you have broken the law. You are liable to a hefty fine and in addition to this, should you have an accident or a fire, and you had taken the short cut, your insurance company will dismiss your claim.

There is an alternative if you think that your competant to do the work yourself. You first notify "building control that you are going to make additions/alterations, then on completion they will come out and test and inspect the work. (where I live it is currently about £65) If they find fault with the work you will have to either remove it or rectify the fault, and they will come out again for a retest, and another fee.

Legend has it that this change in the law was brought about 'cos a ministers daughter drilled an incorrectly installed cable and managed to kill herself.

I'm a kithen fitter (and a qualified spark) and @ 50 have just had to go back to college to sit my C&G 2381, so that if I want to register for part P and have the privelidge of paying about £500 a year, I can do so. I'm not happy, can you tell?
At the time some wag suggested that the sales of double adapters and extension leads would go through the roof. Smile

Well I have to say that I thought that things had got bad, then I heard that you will possible need a licence (costing a fat annual fee) if you have a muck pile. We have horses. Again I'm unhappy!

Somebody somewhere is taking the pxxx.
halloween

Re: outdoor eleccy

footprints wrote:
then I heard that you will possible need a licence (costing a fat annual fee) if you have a muck pile.

WHAT THE ???? Shocked
footprints

halloween wrote:
footprints wrote:
then I heard that you will possible need a licence (costing a fat annual fee) if you have a muck pile.

WHAT THE ???? Shocked

I Know, the more I think about it, the more I think I have dreamt it! Nurse!!!!!!

Will check when she that must be obeyed comes in frrom a day down the pit Smile
Blue Sky

I would definately go with Blacksmith. Just run a long extension out there. That is what I did for me electric pig fence. B0((0c£$ to the regulations eh?
Treacodactyl

footprints wrote:
Since around January of this year it was made a criminal offence to install new supplies or outlets for use in kitchens, bathrooms, or for external supplies.

Is it actually criminal? I thought it was along the lines of other building regs and could cause problems when you come to sell the house? True about the insurance companies but they also wouldn't pay out before the regs if they thought there was anything dodgy with the wiring.

I know the regs are a real pain as I tried to find out some details and there seemed to be a large number of confused people and upset sparkies.

As an armature one thing that's always puzzled me is the design of many of the electrical components such as sockets. The method of attaching wires by just shoving the ends into a hole and hoping the grub screw grips all the wire without any pulling out just doesn't work that well. Surely something more elegant would have been invented by now? Then there's the question of to twist or not to twist wires together before inserting. Confused
Treacodactyl

I'm always woried about using extension leads due to water from condensation dripping into the sockets. I think you can get special leads designed for garden user but I'm not sure. Either way I'd wrap the sockets in a black bag and make sure the lead is not overloaded by the heater especailly as some leads have quite a low rating if not fully unwound.
footprints

footprints wrote:
halloween wrote:
footprints wrote:

WHAT THE ???? Shocked

I Know, the more I think about it, the more I think I have dreamt it! Nurse!!!!!!

Will check when she that must be obeyed comes in frrom a day down the pit Smile
Eeeee! got the wrong end of the stick as usual. Its not a licence, and the rules and regs now applicable to muck piles may not apply to every body.

I apologise profusely to anybody that has worked through the night hiding their muck pile Smile

The muck pile management regs apply to farms that are trying to meet cross compliance thingies for being farm assured.

We got the info by word of mouth (send three and fourpence were going to dance) and were told we would be affected because we keep horses on a farm that is farm assured.
footprints

Treacodactyl wrote:
footprints wrote:

Is it actually criminal? I thought it was along the lines of other building regs and could cause problems when you come to sell the house? True about the insurance companies but they also wouldn't pay out before the regs if they thought there was anything dodgy with the wiring.

I know the regs are a real pain as I tried to find out some details and there seemed to be a large number of confused people and upset sparkies.

As an armature one thing that's always puzzled me is the design of many of the electrical components such as sockets. The method of attaching wires by just shoving the ends into a hole and hoping the grub screw grips all the wire without any pulling out just doesn't work that well. Surely something more elegant would have been invented by now? Then there's the question of to twist or not to twist wires together before inserting. Confused

These are the links from the NICEIC website.

Main page http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/partpindex.html

This page is face up to new laws or face fines.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/newsitemjan052.html

This page is called green fingers not burnt fingers.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/newsitemjan05.html
footprints

electric fences

simon wrote:
I would definately go with Blacksmith. Just run a long extension out there. That is what I did for me electric pig fence. B0((0c£$ to the regulations eh?

For mains operated electric fences in the UK, see regs

605-14 (605-14-01 to 605-14-06

Then get a battery operated one Smile
Blue Sky

Treacodactyl wrote:
I'm always woried about using extension leads due to water from condensation dripping into the sockets. I think you can get special leads designed for garden user but I'm not sure. Either way I'd wrap the sockets in a black bag and make sure the lead is not overloaded by the heater especailly as some leads have quite a low rating if not fully unwound.

Leads are available for exterior use with caps fitted over the outlets similar to those used on some campsites. (see below) I wouldn't leave one out in the pouring rain but they should be most suitable for an outbuilding / greenhouse (temporary use only of course) Smile

footprints wrote:
[I apologise profusely to anybody that has worked through the night hiding their muck pile Smile

Does this mean I can take my wellies off now then? Wink Laughing

footprints wrote:
[For mains operated electric fences in the UK, see regs

605-14 (605-14-01 to 605-14-06

Then get a battery operated one Smile

Shocked Glad I aren't in the UK then Shocked

They do a good "solar charged" battery powered unit here. Switch it on and forget about it. Not much dearer than the mains one either.
moogie

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm tempted just to go and buy a gas one, but its not very downsizery of me, especially as this one was free! I had a quick look in B&Q who sell armour plated wiring for outseide, which I could probably turn into an extention lead but its not exactly temporary as it would need to be on for several months of the year (not constantly mind you!). I'm also a bit worried what it would do to my lecky bills! The solar powered thing looks good mind. Anyone know if they do those here?
Blue Sky

moogie wrote:
The solar powered thing looks good mind. Anyone know if they do those here?

Sorry, I think we might be at cross-purposes. The solar power thing was a reference to the "electric fencing" comment.
judith

Unfortunately the solar-powered thingy probably won't be much use when you need it, i.e. at night!
Blue Sky

A-ha, but it is fitted with a battery Judith which it charges during the day .... and a big 'un at that
judith

Ooh. There's clever Embarassed !

Technology is my middle name, can't you tell!
moogie

Oh well, nevermind. I think I'll gop back to gas power! Anyone want to buy a fetching, new electric greenhouse heater Laughing ?
Treacodactyl

footprints wrote:

Many thanks for the links footpritns. I'll be doing some more work one day and I was going to go down the building regs approval route. Even before I knew of the regs I was going to complete the wiring and then try and get it all professionally checked, now hopefully the new law may help. I bet it will cost a fair bit more to have a whole house checked but I'll see what my council says now the regs have been running for a while.

If they stop DIYers I also hope the qualified people are up to scratch as the people I have had in to do stuff have all made mistakes. Shocked They have all been from large companies though.
footprints

Treacodactyl wrote:
footprints wrote:

Many thanks for the links footpritns. I'll be doing some more work one day and I was going to go down the building regs approval route. Even before I knew of the regs I was going to complete the wiring and then try and get it all professionally checked, now hopefully the new law may help. I bet it will cost a fair bit more to have a whole house checked but I'll see what my council says now the regs have been running for a while.

If they stop DIYers I also hope the qualified people are up to scratch as the people I have had in to do stuff have all made mistakes. Shocked They have all been from large companies though.

Sadly I have also found this to be true . Self employed for over 20 yrs I have seen work from Manweb, british gas, etc that I would be ashamed to put my name to. All of the biggies are working on subcontractors. Pulling the "punters" in on a big name, taking their cut, and then subcontracting the work out.

This is my advice on the subject of employing people for any, and I mean any project where you may part with substantial amounts of ackers....... Get several references. Do not choose from the size of the ad, the amount of "Bodies/badges" that they are affiliated to (see pay subs) Talk to people that have employed them. (phone calls are cheap)

Some of my jobs are serious remedials where the contractor has crapped out or crapped off. When the customer is telling me about their nightmare all of these stories have one thing in common, they knew nowt about the people they were employing, other than the ad looked ok.

In twenty years years of being self employed I have only been asked twice for references. Enough said???

(this was about to turn into a rant, then I was passed another glass of wine )
Treacodactyl

I would have to agree with you there. The old comment ask around for recommendations is just so true. However, when you first more to an area it can be very hard to get recommendations. (Some of the work done on my neighbours properties is fascicle).

Mind you a locally recommended company installed our boiler after the bodge a national did.

A final comment, even if you don't do any of the work yourself it's worth spending a few pounds on a book so stand a better chance of spotting if people are any good or spotting something that could easily be put right.

Now back to greenhouse heaters, I use a modern paraffin heater as I decided getting electricity to my shed and greenhouse as too expensive.
Jb

Treacodactyl wrote:
I would have to agree with you there. The old comment ask around for recommendations is just so true.

So when some guy turns up, measures up and has amongst all his stuff a big book of references do you take that on face value or do you ask around anyway. Just a purely hypothetical question from some who purely hypothetically has some purely hypothetical five figure renovation bills looming on the horizon you understand. Very Happy

Treacodactyl wrote:
Now back to greenhouse heaters, I use a modern paraffin heater as I decided getting electricity to my shed and greenhouse as too expensive.

However much I might tinker with computers, run cabling and all that kind of hi tech thingy stuff. I actually quite like the fact that my greenhouse runs off paraffin - there's somthing reassuringly low tech about it!
Lloyd

moogie wrote:
Oh well, nevermind. I think I'll gop back to gas power! Anyone want to buy a fetching, new electric greenhouse heater Laughing ?

Stick it in the ads Moogie, I may pop down and snap it up! Very Happy
Treacodactyl

JB wrote:
So when some guy turns up, measures up and has amongst all his stuff a big book of references do you take that on face value or do you ask around anyway. Just a purely hypothetical question from some who purely hypothetically has some purely hypothetical five figure renovation bills looming on the horizon you understand. Very Happy

I'm not the best person to ask as I tend to do everything myself, including laying drains and rebuilding outside walls! (With full building controll approval I may add but they just turned up for about 1 minute and didn't even look at the drains Shocked )

I'm considering getting someone in to do some more building work and I've noticed the company working around the area and kept a keen eye on their work.

The trouble with references is how do you know the relationship between the workman and the person giving the ref?
jema

Treacodactyl wrote:

A final comment, even if you don't do any of the work yourself it's worth spending a few pounds on a book so stand a better chance of spotting if people are any good or spotting something that could easily be put right.

Always a good idea i think to do this. If you appear on the ball, there is a much lesser change of people taking the piss.
moogie

yes think paraffin is the way to go. If I sell the electric heater then should be able to afford a nice new paraffin one! No wonder the person who gave it to me was giving it away Laughing Laughing
Lloyd

I used a new parafin one through last winter, and it was so stinky, it really made me wonder about what hydrocarbons might be entering my food chain.
Bugs

JB wrote:
some who purely hypothetically has some purely hypothetical five figure renovation bills looming on the horizon you understand. Very Happy

JB, this hypothetical person might want to hypothesise about checking out this board - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?s=&daysprune=&f=94

Description from the site's weekly newsletter:
"ARE YOU PAYING THE RIGHT PRICE FOR HOUSEHOLD WORK? It's a nightmare question, so I've set up a new chat forum board allowing MoneySavers to ask other consumers and possibly tradesmen whether they think the quote's fair."

Very new and not explored it myself yet but certainly worth investigating if one were ever to find oneself in the position of deciding on quotes...
Jb

Bugs wrote:
JB, this hypothetical person might want to hypothesise about checking out this board - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?s=&daysprune=&f=94

Description from the site's weekly newsletter:
"ARE YOU PAYING THE RIGHT PRICE FOR HOUSEHOLD WORK? ...

Ta for that. That looks like just the sort of forum I need.
moogie

So what does everyone else use to heat their greenhouse? Paraffin (I agree Madman, definately a bit stinky), gas, electric? And are there any particular heaters any one can recommend to me that obviously aren't electric?!
Rikki

If you decide to go down the "it's not really permanent" route to avoid all those regs, it's as well to still be safe. Use a single length of cable from inside your house to inside the greenhouse. Make sure it is armoured. that means the copper core wires (three of them, live, neutral and earth) are surrounded by a steel sheth) it stops you from cutting through it by mistake when pruning the roses - potentially fatal. Then use a water proof connection inside the greenhouse - one with good rubber seals - and an RCD in the house. You've now spent £100, but it is a lot less than getting a supply installed professionally and should last for years.
Blue Sky

moogie wrote:
So what does everyone else use to heat their greenhouse?

Sunshine here! Very Happy
Lloyd

Hold the hat steady, Si, i'm just getting the crosswire onto it...........Smile
Blue Sky

Madman wrote:
Hold the hat steady, Si, i'm just getting the crosswire onto it...........Smile

Hat was a temp while I got another pig pic ready Laughing

Hope you hit it .... If you liked it that much I could email it ya Wink
Lloyd

Like the snails?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1