Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
bernie-woman

email service for Mac

Which email service do mac users here use - since getting our Mac we have been using the mac mail but I just cannot get used to it at all. I may be being a bit blonde but cannot fathom how to set up folders for the mails that come in so that I can distinguish between work stuff, private stuff etc..

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Any thoughts on Microsft Entourage
ele

I love Apple Mail, it's the bees knees Smile It's designed to separate your mail if you want it to.

Go to Mailbox (top menu) -> New Smart Mailbox ....
bernie-woman

Doesn't that just seperate the mail as it comes in - which is fine but how do I move something that has come into the inbox into a particular folder - I'll be damned if I can see a way
sean

Click the mailbox icon, so you can see the mailbox drawer to the side of your main window.
To create a new folder click on the mailbox in the drawer which will contain it.e.g. Personal Mailboxes if you want a new box within it, or Inbox if you want to create folders inside it. Now open the mailbox menu and choose New. Your Mac will ask you for a title for the mailbox: once you've given it one a new icon appears in the mailbox drawer. You can then just drag messages into the new box.

Does this help?
dougal

I'm going to rewrite your question as "Which email *program* to Mac OS X users like?"

Apple's Mail is pretty straightforward and easy to use.
As regards your problem with folders for sorting mail - From the View menu choose "Show Drawer" (if it only offers "Hide Drawer" that means its already open/showing. In there you'll see "folders" for In, Out, Sent, etc.
You can make extra "folders" for whatever categories you choose. The only secret is that Apple, bizzarrly IMHO, call those "folders" "Mailboxes. And you can make extra ones from the, errr, Mailbox menu...
You can get loads of help from the Help menu - but make it easy on yourself, start Mail first and have its window 'on top' Wink

You could always try Thunderbird...
bernie-woman

sean wrote:
Click the mailbox icon, so you can see the mailbox drawer to the side of your main window.
To create a new folder click on the mailbox in the drawer which will contain it.e.g. Personal Mailboxes if you want a new box within it, or Inbox if you want to create folders inside it. Now open the mailbox menu and choose New. Your Mac will ask you for a title for the mailbox: once you've given it one a new icon appears in the mailbox drawer. You can then just drag messages into the new box.

Does this help?

Hurray
Yes it does - thanks - I was opening smart mailboxes not just mailboxes
Embarassed Got it sorted now Laughing
bernie-woman

dougal wrote:
I'm going to rewrite your question as "Which email *program* to Mac OS X users like?"

Apple's Mail is pretty straightforward and easy to use.
As regards your problem with folders for sorting mail - From the View menu choose "Show Drawer" (if it only offers "Hide Drawer" that means its already open/showing. In there you'll see "folders" for In, Out, Sent, etc.
You can make extra "folders" for whatever categories you choose. The only secret is that Apple, bizzarrly IMHO, call those "folders" "Mailboxes. And you can make extra ones from the, errr, Mailbox menu...
You can get loads of help from the Help menu - but make it easy on yourself, start Mail first and have its window 'on top' Wink

You could always try Thunderbird...

I am actually quite computer literate you know Wink just haven't used mac for 17 years. The problem I was having was that it would not allow me to drag mail into the folders/mailboxes - it seems that was because I was creating smart mailboxes not just mailboxes

I am happy for yoou to re-write my question - although everyone seemed to know what I was asking Wink
dougal

bernie wrote:
I am happy for yoou to re-write my question - although everyone seemed to know what I was asking Wink

When I saw your thread title, my first expectation was that you might have been asking as to whether Apple's "dot Mac" *service* was worth the subscription - IMHO it ain't.

And, as you will have discovered, seeking Apple "Help" on email "folders" (the term you used) is not at all helpful, because of Apple's "quirky" use of the term 'mailbox'.

As well as Thunderbird, there is another well-favoured free alternative in Eudora. There are many commercial products too, Mailsmith is well respected.
bernie-woman

dougal wrote:
bernie wrote:

When I saw your thread title, my first expectation was that you might have been asking as to whether Apple's "dot Mac" *service* was worth the subscription - IMHO it ain't.

And, as you will have discovered, seeking Apple "Help" on email "folders" (the term you used) is not at all helpful, because of Apple's "quirky" use of the term 'mailbox'.

As well as Thunderbird, there is another well-favoured free alternative in Eudora. There are many commercial products too, Mailsmith is well respected.

Thanks for your help dougal - it gets more confusing here by the day as I am having to run a PC alongside the Mac - hence using PC phrases when I am talking about Mac. I am hoping that in a couple of weeks I will just be using the Mac - it will make life much simpler.

I haven't even heard of Apple "dot Mac" service - what is it?
dougal

bernie wrote:
... Thanks for your help dougal - it gets more confusing here by the day as I am having to run a PC alongside the Mac - hence using PC phrases when I am talking about Mac.
That use of the term "mailbox" is not a general "Mac" term, I believe its unique to Apple's own "Mail" program - and IMHO unhelpfully so.
bernie wrote:
I haven't even heard of Apple "dot Mac" service - what is it?
See http://www.apple.com/uk/dotmac/
and its publicised on leaflets included with new machines...
There are mail services, a really simple remote file-storage facility (iDisk), easy web site publishing, iCal calender publishing/sharing/reconciliation, etc, etc...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home