Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
jamanda

Emoticons

As well as all the smilies (or instead of some that never get used), would it be possible to have useful symbols like a degrees sign?

Can anyone think of any others?
Jo S

smug face

non-birthday cake
mihto

I'll think of something. Sometimes I would like to express stuff which isn't covered at present.

When speaking of emoticons something related has actually been on my mind lately.

I sometimes visit other forums Embarassed (not really unfaithful, just a fling) and many emoticons/avatars are now competing, with stuff moving around in each posting, flashing colours and they SHOUT at me in a very uncomfortable way. In my world small is beautiful. The Downsizers are very restrained; the important thing is what we write and not how many butterflies flutter over the message.

Can we keep it that way?
jamanda

You misunderstand Mihto - I don't want flashing things or more smilies - perish the thought. I just get irked when I can't type a little circle to be a degrees sign when I'm putting in oven temperatures..
mihto

Jamanda wrote:
You misunderstand Mihto - I don't want flashing things or more smilies - perish the thought. I just get irked when I can't type a little circle to be a degs sign.

I'm not misunderstanding, Jamanda.I know what you are looking for and I wholeheartedly agree.

My last question was purely a shot into the unknown future, asking if we may be aware of not going down a path which leads to silliness.

This is such a lovely forum and the fact that we can do stuff but keep back is something I'm truly grateful for.

Those other forums give me a headache after a short while, even if the photos are gorgeous and some of the postings very interesting.
chez

I think you should be able to put stuff like degrees in via the 'character map' in the 'accessories' menu?

Jo S

Chez wrote:
I think you should be able to put stuff like degrees in via the 'character map' in the 'accessories' menu?

Question Question
chez

In your 'windows' start menu. There should be a 'character map' thingy. Will all sorts of options to add unusual characters.
mousjoos

Jamanda wrote:
You misunderstand Mihto - I don't want flashing things or more smilies - perish the thought. I just get irked when I can't type a little circle to be a degrees sign when I'm putting in oven temperatures..

They have them on French keyboards °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
there are a few to be going on with
Treacodactyl

If you're on Windows you just need to hold down the alt key and type 0176 on the keypad. Ubuntu users can type Ctrl + Shift + U and then type b0 and enter.

Simples. Wink

I bet someone will mention Macs...
mihto

Treacodactyl wrote:
If you're on Windows you just need to hold down the alt key and type 0176 on the keypad. Ubuntu users can type Ctrl + Shift + U and then type b0 and enter.

Simples. Wink

° Wow Smile
jamanda

The alt 0176 thing doesn't seem to work on this computer.

Where do I go from the start menu Chez?

I'm in vista if that makes a diffeence.
Jo S

Jamanda wrote:
The alt 0176 thing doesn't seem to work on this computer.

Same here Rolling Eyes
12Bore

Treacodactyl wrote:

Simples. Wink

Very useful when it's raining.
frewen

I know I am sad but I rather liked the skipping sheep Embarassed
gil

Frewen Feltmaker wrote:
I know I am sad but I rather liked the skipping sheep Embarassed

There are some really gross emoticons, as described above. Huge HUGE moving faces. Yuk.

I liked the skipping sheep too.
chez

Jamanda wrote:

All programs - Accessories - System Tools

There's a thingy here that explains some nifty stuff about it:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93584-character-map.html

In Ubuntu it's in Applications - Accessories
jamanda

° Aha!

Chez I ♥ U

Now I've just got to remember that it's there!
Slim

yeåh it's the ønly wåy I cån prøperly tålk with Mihtø & Ærikht
mihto

Slim wrote:
yeåh it's the ønly wåy I cån prøperly tålk with Mihtø & Ærikht

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing that must have been slightly tedious to type.
A.
Slim

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
A.

det var ingenting Wink
mihto

Slim wrote:
Barefoot Andrew wrote:
A.

det var ingenting Wink

Jo, det var festelig! Laughing

Nå har vi snart like mange gull som dere Wink
Slim

mihto wrote:

Æsj! Det er ikke ferdig... Laughing
jamanda

snart is a good word. What does it mean?
sean

Snot. In the west of England.
mihto

Jamanda wrote:

Soon, young lady, soon Laughing
mihto

Slim wrote:
mihto wrote:

Your Norwegian is so good that I actually think you are pulling our legs. Not American, but a closet Norseman sitting in a high-rise in some snow-filled part of Oslo, dreaming about a farm in the US.

HA! Got yeah!
Slim

mihto wrote:
Jamanda wrote:

Soon, young lady, soon Laughing

In my case, it only meant soon
Slim

mihto wrote:
Slim wrote:
mihto wrote:

Your Norwegian is so good that I actually think you are pulling our legs. Not American, but a closet Norseman sitting in a high-rise in some snow-filled part of Oslo, dreaming about a farm in the US.

HA! Got yeah!

The Norwegian I remember is good perhaps? Embarassed You'd hate to hear me try to speak it, and there's hardly any chance I'd understand you.... Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home