Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Treacodactyl

Encouraging fungi

I think I've identified my first edible fungi on my woodland, an amethyst deceiver, and I'm wondering if there's much I can do to encourage them and others?

It's a strange mix of pasture planted with a loads of trees almost 20 years ago and old scrubby wet woodland, which is a mix of goat willow, hazel, oak and several other trees.

I'm wondering, are fungi similar to plants in that different ones will spring up if you coppice an area of old woodland? And can anyone suggest how long it might take for planted pasture to possibly produce some woodland fungi.

Sadly it's too acidic for truffles which is a real shame as it's full of hazel, oak and beech. Does anyone know if there's any other edible mycorrhizal edible fungi I could add? There's quite a few mycorrhizal root treatments available these days and I wonder if any not only would benefit the trees but also provide an aditional crop?
jamanda

Oooh, Haven't seen any here yet - must go and investigate where I've found them in the past - mostly under sloe trees. I've found the odd wood blewit in similar spots too, but nothing else edible (except the debatable clouded funnels).

I was told by a local guy who knew a lot more than me that it was too steep here to really build up the depth of leaf mold needed for many varieties.

My chantarelle spot is a little way away in a deciduous edge to conifer plantation and the other stuff I get is all from open grassy areas.
Treacodactyl

I actually went in search of chanterelles as there's plenty of damp, moss covered banks that I've found them on in the past; but sadly there's none. There's plenty of leaf mold but I think it might be too damp for many fungi as it can be very wet underfoot for most of the year in places. The deceivers were on a bank.
jamanda

Treacodactyl wrote:
I actually went in search of chanterelles as there's plenty of damp, moss covered banks that I've found them on in the past; but sadly there's none. There's plenty of leaf mold but I think it might be too damp for many fungi as it can be very wet underfoot for most of the year in places. The deceivers were on a bank.

It's a few weeks since I saw any chantarelles now, though there were more than I've ever found before when they were about. So maybe next year...

I've never spotted the brown winter ones that some of the New Forest guys were talking about - I suppose that's what to keep your eye out for now.
Treacodactyl

I found loads of the winter chanterelles last year (in Surrey), right next to places where we've found chanterelles. It wasn't until I was in a middle of a patch that I noticed them.
Geoff

Re: Encouraging fungi

Treacodactyl wrote:

I'm wondering, are fungi similar to plants in that different ones will spring up if you coppice an area of old woodland?

No. In this case with plants it is all about light levels, and this makes little or no difference to which fungi will appear. It only makes a difference to how they grow.

Quote:

And can anyone suggest how long it might take for planted pasture to possibly produce some woodland fungi.

Almost immediately.
Treacodactyl

Geoff wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

I'm wondering, are fungi similar to plants in that different ones will spring up if you coppice an area of old woodland?

No. In this case with plants it is all about light levels, and this makes little or no difference to which fungi will appear. It only makes a difference to how they grow.

Coppicing does more than just change the light levels, the ground could get warmer for example, it would be more open to the elements and wildlife etc.

Geoff wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

And can anyone suggest how long it might take for planted pasture to possibly produce some woodland fungi.

Almost immediately.

While there's quite a few fungi about I'm thinking mainly about the well know edible ones. For example, there's some dense patches of oak, hazel and beech and I would hope to see the odd bolete but sadly there isn't any. Would you expect them to appear in a couple of years or would they take much longer or would they only appear if they're growing close by?
Truffle

Treacodactyl wrote:
I think I've identified my first edible fungi on my woodland, an amethyst deceiver, and I'm wondering if there's much I can do to encourage them and others?

It's a strange mix of pasture planted with a loads of trees almost 20 years ago and old scrubby wet woodland, which is a mix of goat willow, hazel, oak and several other trees.

I'm wondering, are fungi similar to plants in that different ones will spring up if you coppice an area of old woodland? And can anyone suggest how long it might take for planted pasture to possibly produce some woodland fungi.

Sadly it's too acidic for truffles which is a real shame as it's full of hazel, oak and beech. Does anyone know if there's any other edible mycorrhizal edible fungi I could add? There's quite a few mycorrhizal root treatments available these days and I wonder if any not only would benefit the trees but also provide an aditional crop?

All excellent questions, and in reply:
1- Coppicing. Different woodland management certainly does impact on the range of fungi, it can have quite a big impact and there's been a few good studies on this (as well as altering litter layers etc). The best option will be to create a broad range of ecological niches. ie some areas with dense shade, some with dappled light etc.
2- Edible mycorrhiza- these are an extremely complicated group to grow. With the exception of truffles, there's not much you can do aside form amending the conditions to encourage natural colonization. Several require a whole matrix of organisms in order to fruit. The best option will be decomposing fungi.
3- Decomposing fungi- for a woodland environment (and even open fields) you'll definitely be able to grow Blewitts, Stopharia, 'button-type' mushrooms, wood-chip lovers (such as oyster mushrooms and shitake on sawdust beds) and perhaps morels (but only if strict protocols are followed). A great book for an introduction is 'Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms' by Paul Stamets.

You can certainly encourage mycorrhizal fungi, and even lime small patches for truffle trees- but for quick results, you should have plenty of success with the fungi in point 3.

good luck!
truffle
www.PlantationSystems.com
Geoff

Treacodactyl wrote:

While there's quite a few fungi about I'm thinking mainly about the well know edible ones. For example, there's some dense patches of oak, hazel and beech and I would hope to see the odd bolete but sadly there isn't any. Would you expect them to appear in a couple of years or would they take much longer or would they only appear if they're growing close by?

In many cases if they do not start growing quite early in the life of the tree then they probably never will. Once the tree has established a symbiotic relationship with some sort of fungus then it generally stays put, which means there's no vacancy for the particular species you want to introduce.
Treacodactyl

Thanks for the reply Truffle, yes I will create more niche areas - it's clear at the moment that a few patches that are different can have some completely different fungi on them. It's a shame about edible mycorrhiza, I was hoping some of the root treatments you can get to help establish trees would produce a crop.

Yes we're already going to use some decomposing fungi, mainly in logs and stumps and hopefully this winter time permitting.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home