Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Hairyloon

Epoxy recommendations?

I am wanting to stick something securely. It is going to get hot and oily (not boiling hot).
I've tried "Quiksteel" epoxy putty, on the grounds that the advert said it sets almost as hard as steel, and gave good figures for strength, I don't know if I had a duff batch, but even after 24hrs curing, I could still mark it with a thumbnail... and in any case, I've decided that resin would be better.

But there is so much choice... anyone know which are the good ones?
baldybloke

I'm a big fan of JB Weld. Available at Halfords or any good car accessory shop.
Hairyloon

I'm a big fan of JB Weld. Available at Halfords...

Doesn't appear to be on their website...
Not that I'm expecting it to be hard to find, I just wanted to look at the specifications.
maynard

try using this stuff. It's about as strong as you can get!!

link
Mistress Rose

Would ordinary Araldite do. It has been around for years and seems to work.
Hairyloon

Would ordinary Araldite do. It has been around for years and seems to work.

It might, but I believe it is not as good as (eg) JB Weld... Not sure why I believe that though. Confused
baldybloke

JB Weld is impregnated with metal making it stronger. I believe. Once repaired a flywheel generator with it, not realising it was magnetic. Then had to dig it all out again. One hell of a job. Doh!!! Hairyloon

JB Weld is impregnated with metal making it stronger.
Are you talking about putty or resin?
gregotyn

we sell JB Weld at work and the lads there say it is good stuff, but not as good as a 'proper' weld. There are 3 types, Quik weld and Water weld, as well as JB Weld. Mistress Rose

You can fill an epoxy resin with metal or anything else if you want to, but it will affect the strength. We used to make a mix called 'Silencer gunk' when I first worked and exhaust systems failed with monotonous regularity. Can't remember whether we filled it with zinc dust or silica flour now. baldybloke

JB Weld is impregnated with metal making it stronger.
Are you talking about putty or resin?
Think grey Araldite. Same 2 part epoxy based adhesive. Just mix equal parts of the adhesive and hardener.
Ty Gwyn

Is JB weld similar to Plastic Padding?
I used that to repair a hole in the sump of a Morris 1800 and a diesel tank on a T20.
gregotyn

Not the same thing, if I remember; JBweld is what you would use to weld two bits of steel together if you needed to, when you are stuck up a field and no electric or gas welder just to hand! A mate said he keeps a pack on the quad when they fetch sheep off the hill just in case, but I don't think the sheep are the important bit, its their quad that breaks! You would use JB when you are caught out and replace it when you get back home. How are you doing Ty Gwyn
I haven't spoken to you for ages. Do you know if Boarstall girl is hitting the Winter fair in Builth?
Hairyloon

I tried JB weld.
It took forever to set, and did not stick half as well as I had been led to believe...

It wasn't warm and I know that temperature affects rate of reaction, but I would've expected it to be reasonably firm after being left overnight...
Duff batch perhaps? Or a fake?
gregotyn

Hairyloon, it is not a true weld, and I said the boys at work use it as a make shift, if they can't do the real thing, and replace it with the proper job when they can. So if it is me that has mis-led you I am sorry, and will send you the price of the JB weld. Hairyloon

So if it is me that has mis-led you I am sorry, and will send you the price of the JB weld.
Heavens no. If anybody misled me, then it was the advertisement, and as I said, judging from the setting times, I suspect a duff batch.

Am wishing I'd listened to Rose: am trying again with araldite, and it is looking very promising... (though some of that is a much improved method).
gregotyn

Phew! There's a degree of relief! Thankyou I was thinking it may have been my recommendation, which came from the guys at work who use it when they need to. baldybloke

Also concerned that you had a duff experience with JB Weld. Never had a problem myself except when I used it to repair a motorcycle flywheel generator. But that was was totally down to human error, something I am really good at!! Hairyloon

Phew! There's a degree of relief! Thankyou I was thinking it may have been my recommendation, which came from the guys at work who use it when they need to.
I'm sorry to have caused you worry. Embarassed

Also concerned that you had a duff experience with JB Weld. Never had a problem myself except when I used it to repair a motorcycle flywheel generator. But that was was totally down to human error, something I am really good at!!
Human error is where I would look first, but I tried several gluings with it and they all took hours to set... pretty sure it says on the tin that it sets in an hour, and full strength in 24.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home