Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Mrs R

Er just some photos really

Had a bit of a photography session today and thought I'd share....

The new Ayrshire ox - 'Tex' love5

The two sexy new boys - Wellington and Whixley, pedigree Wensleydales to be used to create 'kerrydale mules' and hopefully a better fleece for our spinner customers:

My favourite pig, Ruby, or 'Rubes' as I calls her:

and these dodgy looking characters all dozing in a line Laughing :

Nick

Ruby. Longest porcine nose ever?
T.G

aww bless i want a tex too Very Happy
mihto

Wow, they are cute!
Laughing

All new breedt to me but very, very sweet. Those rams look like real punks. How are they accepted by the ladies?
Mrs R

mihto wrote:

All new breedt to me but very, very sweet. Those rams look like real punks. How are they accepted by the ladies?

any chance of photies of some of your native breeds then?

They haven't met the ladies yet, still settling in and we have to move the old ladies we don't want serving out - but should be anyday. They're only ram lambs but they were shwoing sigsn of activity where they were bred and given that we only have a few ewes and there's two of them we think they'll manage!
Chez

Do I recognise those pullets?
mihto

Spælsau. A good mother sheep who look after her lambs when they roam in the mountains from May/June to September. Coarse wool, lean meat. Light on foot.

[/url]

Gammalnorsk spæl. Outside all year round on the coast, of the "don't fence me in" variety. Good for grazing heathers and anything else which can fill the stomach.

marigold

Nice pics Very Happy
mochyn

That Ruby's a nice animal, Ixy. What's her lineage? How old is she?

And I like those top sheep, Mihto. Looks like nice fleece.
mihto

mochyn wrote:
And I like those top sheep, Mihto. Looks like nice fleece.

The English name is Old Norwegian Short Tail Landrace

The wool is rather coarse. It is used for special purposes.

There aree two layers: : Longhaired, silken and wavy layer of coverage wool protecting against rain and wind and a inner layer (botnfeld) which keeps the sheep warm..

The long coverage hairs is used for wowen thread which is spun very hard with two threads instead of three. This gives a nice shine to the thread.

This yarn was used in the old tapestries from the renessance and the baroque. The sails of the Viking longships were made of spelsau yarn. The wool was also used for clothing in the days of old, because it is light and does not absorb water,
Rob R

mochyn wrote:
That Ruby's a nice animal, Ixy. What's her lineage? How old is she?

She's Templeson Ruby 326, by Cranbrook Glen, born 25/08/2005 Smile
Mrs R

mochyn wrote:
That Ruby's a nice animal, Ixy.

Yeah she's lovely, but she sure knows her own mind - really hope we can get her a proper ginger boyfriend soon!
Mrs R

mihto wrote:
Spælsau. A good mother sheep who look after her lambs when they roam in the mountains from May/June to September. Coarse wool, lean meat. Light on foot.

Gammalnorsk spæl. Outside all year round on the coast, of the "don't fence me in" variety. Good for grazing heathers and anything else which can fill the stomach.

interesting looking sheep! does norway have any breeds of cattle? what about poultry?

Chez - no I don't think you do recognise those pullets (2 are cocks by the way Wink ), not sure they were here when you were, they're old english games (oxford).
Chez

They are really pretty - I didn't think the were my crosses; but I've got one that is that reddish colour. All the rest are more orangey.

I like the look of the Gammalnorsk spæl. I am assuming that they are similar to Soay's - in that you only ever see their backside disappearing over the hedge in to next-door's field?
mihto

Oi Ixy, you are asking difficult questions. Embarassed

Sure we have poultry breeds, but during the time I have been on Downsizer I have not posted a single entry on the poultry threads. I'm absolutely and totally clueless. Confused

We have quite a few breeder's homepages. All in Norwegian of course. I'm reasonably sure that you people run circles around our breeders. I'll ask around., but please do not expect surprises.

Cattle breeds we have. A few Norwegian originals, which they desperately try to save. Plenty of British and continental breeds. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. May even do the research from work if I can find some spare time.
gz

I was just thinking that the gammanosk spael had the same expression on its face-" attitude"? as the soay and hebridean sheep Laughing
mihto

Chez wrote:
I like the look of the Gammalnorsk spæl. I am assuming that they are similar to Soay's - in that you only ever see their backside disappearing over the hedge in to next-door's field?

Well, they are not familiar with fields Laughing They are certainly free ranging and treat fences with the contempt they deserve. In this area they live on islands and in hte heather covered mountains

Hedges? Chez, this is not hedge country, not at all! We sometimes have hedges around our gardens, but not as borders between farms. In the deep southwest stone fences divide fields. Farmers here use simple electric fences when needed. Our sheep farming is extensive and the Gammalnorsk spælsau respect nothing and cannot be kept away from whatever takes their fancy. I do believe that you have a rather similar breed on the Hebrid islands and on Shetland. We should have many, many more of these animals. Their grazing/browsing keep the landscape open.
mihto

gz wrote:
I was just thinking that the gammanosk spael had the same expression on its face-" attitude"? as the soay and hebridean sheep Laughing

crossposting Laughing
Chez

Yes, the Soay is sometimes called the 'Iron Age Sheep'. They sound very similar! Laughing
crofter

mihto wrote:
I do believe that you have a rather similar breed on the Hebrid islands and on Shetland. We should have many, many more of these animals. Their grazing/browsing keep the landscape open.

Very similar to shetland ewes, for example http://www.shetland-sheep.org.uk/colmarks.html
random

you can find some information on Nordic rare breeds here

http://www.nordgen.org/index.php/en/Husdjur/Innehaall/Husdyrdatabasen

Just select preservation from the drop down.
mihto

random wrote:
you can find some information on Nordic rare breeds here

http://www.nordgen.org/index.php/en/Husdjur/Innehaall/Husdyrdatabasen

Just select preservation from the drop down.

Tusen takk Laughing Laughing You certainly saved me some work here!
mochyn

Rob/Ixy: Ruby looks really good for 4 years! My Heulog looks rather less hairy although she was bright orange her first 3 years. We use Deerpark Pigs in NI for AI for her. They have a Tamworth boar and the progeny are excellent.
Mrs R

mochyn wrote:
Rob/Ixy: Ruby looks really good for 4 years! My Heulog looks rather less hairy although she was bright orange her first 3 years. We use Deerpark Pigs in NI for AI for her. They have a Tamworth boar and the progeny are excellent.

Yes she's a youthful looking lady Very Happy her underline isn't what is was but...happens to us all Laughing I think it's still worth breeding from her.

I specifically wanted to avoid the deerpark boar though as he's the only AI Tam available seemingly, which means he's going to be responsible for a high % of the total population of Tams, and given our set-up, we can house another boar so I think it's worth it to maintain a bit of genetic diversity. That, and Ruby shows NO signs of being on heat whatsoever so AI'ing her would be a nightmare.
mochyn

Ixy wrote:
...I specifically wanted to avoid the deerpark boar though as he's the only AI Tam available seemingly, which means he's going to be responsible for a high % of the total population of Tams, and given our set-up, we can house another boar so I think it's worth it to maintain a bit of genetic diversity. That, and Ruby shows NO signs of being on heat whatsoever so AI'ing her would be a nightmare.

I agree about the Deerpark boar: I wish we could find another to give us a choice so I can breed from some of Heulog's offspring.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home