Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
gil

European students on work placement

Anyone ever had a student on a work placement ?
How did it go ?
What did you get them to do ?
What kind of pay rate ?

I may have the possibility of a French student on work placement for a month, not sure if summer 08 or 09. Oenology student (winemaking); parents own an organic vineyard/orchard/winery in the South of France. Needs to improve his English, and get some experience abroad/elsewhere.

Just dusted off my French to email his parents with details of what's on offer here. Shocked

Could be good Very Happy
chez

We used to have them when I worked for the council, and we have the occasional one now. I'd say, try not to give them all the tedious jobs - give them a few tasks that are 'theirs' to complete over their time with you when you don't have time to supervise them. But speaking as someone who spent six weeks one summer shut in the back room of a museum, cataloguing rusty nails ... try to involve them in all aspects of the business that will be useful with them and give them an overview of how it works.
sean

Having done it the other way round, i.e. as a student. What Chez said.
hardworkinghippy

We often have Agricultural work experience students here on placement.

Normally you don't have to pay them anything, just supply bed and board but a bit of pocket money's a nice gesture and means that they can go out from time to time to give you all bit of breathing space. Wink

Some things people have done here include making a compost toilet and a bicycle shed, helping with lambing/kidding or tagging animals or preparing preserves - whatever's seasonal, but it's useful for everyone if you work together.

I always try to find out what they like doing and what they're good at before they come and prepare their "objectives" with a short useful project - something interesting that you don't have the time to do yourself or you need motivation and a hand for - ready for them.

Those objectives can be used as the basis of the written report they have to hand in when they get back to college. Take loads of photos during their stay to add to the report and try to keep notes of what they've done - they'll thank you for that when they're scraping for ideas a week before the report's due in ! Laughing

Irene
Andrea

Sounds like wwoofing to me, but with a report to write at the end of it!

I think it's impossible to plan too much until your student arrives and you know what they're actually capable of. I find the most frustrating people to deal with are those with lots of book knowledge but not a jot of common sense.
gil

Thanks for all the useful replies. Very helpful, Chez, Sean, HWH and Andrea.
Looks as though the lad might be arriving towards the end of June Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home