Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
stumbling goat

Externally insulating a single brick skin wall advice please

Good evening,

I need to externally insulate a single skin brick wall. Currently it has a timber frame with 2" of polystyrene type tiles (Jablite?) as insulation with a timber fascia to the exterior.

I would like to strip back to the brickwork, install 3" Celotex or similar, and then face it with UPVc or timber, either.

Does anyone know where I can buy aluminium "C" section profile to screw to the brick work and allow installation of 3" Cellotex and then horizontal aluminium bands to fix the outer faces to?

Hope that this is understandable?

Thanks

sg
dpack

travis perkins might be able to help

they seem to have most things available
stumbling goat

Thanks, I will try them.

sg
Mistress Rose

If you have Covers near you, they might be able to help too. They are also pretty good on insulation and all things eco.
onemanband

I would try a local conservatory/window manufacturer/supplier - they would be able to source ally profiles.

What about 'Jumbo stud' like this (just first search result - plenty places stock it)

Is galvanised (or something) and you tosh it together with self-tappers. It'll be way cheaper than ally.
IIRC aren't you on the coast ? I wouldn't like to say it's suitable for there or not.
tahir

You don't really want anything that uses loads of meta you'll have thermal bridges all over the place. There's lode of stuff by people like kings pan you can use
tahir

This looks useful

http://retrofitguides.instituteforsustainability.org.uk/improving-the-building-fabric/6-9-external-wall-insulation/
tahir

http://www.ewipro.co.uk/evaluating-the-installation-of-retrofitted-external-wall-insulation.pdf
tahir

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/2015/03/25/external-wall-insulation/
stumbling goat

Thank you all very much for the suggestions.

I have looked at aluminium extrusions for C section 50mm x 75mm x 50mm. Thinking I could screw the 50mm to the brickwork, instal 75mm Cellotex or Kingspan in the gap, fix horizontal aluminium bands around the vertical aluminium studs and secure the timer fascia to that horizontal band? Just realised that I would need to out a breathable waterproof membrane over the Kingspan/Cellotex and leave an air gap for ventilation, so I would need to pack the fixing aluminium band out by at least 10mm.

I will check with Kingspan, did not think of that. Will also look at Covers. Although I did buy my last lot of Celltex from a Co called CCF in Rowlands Castle, they mostly deal in insulation and dry wall products so they should be able to help.

Thanks again for all your help. Plenty to check out in the morning.

sg
Mistress Rose

If that is Rowlands Castle Hampshire, there is a Covers at Chichester. I have found them quite helpful and knowledgeable.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home