Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
vegplot

Eye dominance

I've just discovered I'm cross dominant. Surprised

I'm right handed but have a left dominant eye which is a bit of a problem when shooting with both eyes open as it means I tend to look across the barrel rather than straight up it. I had noticed I tend to shoot (archery and shot gun) with one eye closed sometimes and this is the reason, to compensate for cross dominance. There's a good article on the BASC site about eye dominance and its role in shooting.
gil

Interesting article.
However, I am right-handed and definitely right-eye dominant...
Must have a practice again, as 30th Sept approaches fast Wink
vegplot

gil wrote:
Interesting article.
However, I am right-handed and definitely right-eye dominant...
Must have a practice again, as 30th Sept approaches fast Wink

What's happening then?
frewen

Left handed, right eye dominant.

Can't shoot or play snooker Embarassed
Cathryn

Must remember this....handy excuse..... Wink
frewen

Can't crochet either - add that to the list tongue3
gil

vegplot wrote:
gil wrote:
30th Sept approaches fast Wink

What's happening then?

Start of pheasant shooting (though better left till later in the season)
vegplot

gil wrote:
vegplot wrote:
gil wrote:

What's happening then?

Of course, should have guessed. Smile
Northern_Lad

I'm the same, Mr Plot. I just shoot left handed. Makes drawing your sword easier too.
Silas

I used to be well into Archery. We would encourage anyone who was left eye dominant to shoot left handed
Brownbear

gil wrote:
vegplot wrote:
gil wrote:

What's happening then?

Much later, for many, after the terrible non-Summer.
Bodger

You're not alone Vegplot.

I think it may run in famillies. At cricket my father was a left arm bowler/right hand bat, my brother did it the other way around. I ? Am right handed in everything until it comes to shooting. I shoot from the right shoulder but have a totally dominant left eye. When using a rifle, I completely shut my right eys and use the left one. Until it was pointed out to me, I presumed that everyone did it that way. Shocked Shocked Shocked
vegplot

I've no ambidextrous skills whatsoever but I may have to learn. Rifle and pistol shooting I'm okay as I've always closed my left eye. Now I know I can do something about it. A chap at the club on Wednesday handed me his new single shot black powder pistol and as soon as I sighted it he questioned my eye dominance.

Earthyvirgo doesn't appear to have a problem, she came second in the black powder revolver competition while I came a miserable nth out of 20 or so. Male egos were destroyed that night.
Bodger

Do you shoot at the club near Bangor ? My OH is very keen to take up target shooting. She's getting frustrated at missing me. Very Happy

The range is an old tunnel isn't it ?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home