Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
mousjoos

Facebook sadness

Big confession to make.....I sometimes play a game on Faceache (nothing to do with crushing candy)

Two days ago I clicked on the menu below the "News Feed" & was greeted with the game's welcome page, but it was black in place of the normal picture, & had a message at the bottom stating that certain stuff had been blocked because of the (lack of) confidence in the security certificate(s)

I clicked on the box that would ordinarily allow me to continue & still have a black screen & no access to the game

A friend has tried to access from their 'pooter & it worked fine...so the question is "have I somehow jiggered my security settings?" & "will I ever be able to retrieve the situation myself without calling in professional help?"

Thank you
Behemoth

Have you updated adobe flash player? We've had quite a few updates recently.
Barefoot Andrew

Nell's the FB security expert here - I'm sure she'll be along later.
A.
mousjoos

Thank you

So far I've been told change to Chrome...did but deleted after, didn't like it; then Firefox..still makes references to Chrome; went back to IE; checked Firewall; checked FB settings...am none the wiser; checked Java updates..I have the latest available apparently; I think Adobe is up to date also, will check
alison

I have a couple of games I play too. I am sure most of us do, so don't be Embarassed

(Which ones are they?)
mousjoos

A friend invited me to play "Total Domination" which is quite addictive actually

I haven't ever really been into gaming but the above & "Tomb Raider 2" & "Driver" on the original steam powered Playstation, are games I have enjoyed playing
Piggyphile

Farm heroes Saga is my addiction but I use my daughters FB Account as I don't want to register with them.
mark

Quote:
had a message at the bottom stating that certain stuff had been blocked because of the (lack of) confidence in the security certificate(s)

That sounds like a browser security setting .. if so you just need to allow the page in your browsers security settings - so long as you trust the page! Its often no harm as webmasters often forget to renew their certificates .

But that does mean slacking of the security for you - and if someone has hacked a redirect you might make yourself vulnerable to a dodgy fake site
vegplot

Just a guess but and a longshot but it's possible your browser is using SSL 3.0 and the site has recently blocked SSL 3.0 (it's an old and insecure protocol). Update your browser if that's the case.
Jamanda

I like scrabble, but I think dear Snowball has had enough for the time being!
mousjoos

I have so far "re-initialised" (french meaning for the process) Internet Explorer, disabled the firewall, "allowed" practically everything & everybody access via my security settings & still nothing changes

eta installed Firefox browser thing....did I say that already ?

etaa the thing blocking the page is Internet Explorer, can't validate cetificate or something
mark

I have so far "re-initialised" (french meaning for the process) Internet Explorer, disabled the firewall, "allowed" practically everything & everybody access via my security settings & still nothing changes

eta installed Firefox browser thing....did I say that already ?

etaa the thing blocking the page is Internet Explorer, can't validate cetificate or something

You mention updating Adobe Flash - this is a prime cause of this error . I think you were advised to do so earlier in the thread .

If you haven'tyou'll want the link for the Adobe website for checking what version you have installed and what current version is available:
https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
This web page wil display your flash versionm and what is the latest one for your browser(s) and operating system

If you need a more recent version you will need to close all programs and all browser tabs except the Adobe website.
Click Player Download Center,
uncheck the bundled Optional offers if you do not want it and then click the Install Now button and follow directions.
mousjoos

I've just done this & still changes nothing

I have a selection of hammers.... I may try adjusting settings with one or more of those
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home