Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Hairyloon

Failed wine.

I had a load of messed up fruity sugary goo, and I figured the options were to throw it away, or to see if it would make wine. By my reckoning, pretty much anything with sugar in ought to be fermentable so I boiled it up and put it in a demijohn with some yeast.

It has shown no obvious sign of fermenting, but now has what appears to be a layer of blue mould on the top... which is a puzzle on a couple of counts: where did it come from, and how has it grown without blowing off any gas?

The easy answers are that the sterilising solution or the yeast compound is defective, and that it has done it slowly enough that I simply didn't notice any bubbles, but I'm not finding it entirely convincing.
dpack

too much sugar?
dead yeast?
Hairyloon

too much sugar?
dead yeast?

These are theories that did cross my mind...
Water it down, boil it up and add fresh yeast?
dpack

if it has had mould i would head to the compost heap with it.
some moulds,especially a couple that like "jam", are rather nasty and boiling does nowt to their exotoxins
Hairyloon

some moulds,especially a couple that like "jam", are rather nasty and boiling does nowt to their exotoxins

Hmm. I've eaten plenty of mouldy jam: perhaps I should start being a bit more selective...
dpack

.. it might be sensible before anything nasty happens Wink Hairyloon

Do we know any good guides to mould identification? dpack

basics

intermediate

perhaps a bit too specific Laughing
Hairyloon

Ta. dpack

mold even when relatively harmless is often a fellow traveller with some rather unpleasant bacteria which is another good reason to dump stuff that is showing signs rather than trimming it.

the basic rule is if the mold is supposed to be there it is ok , if it is a random colony it might well be a bad idea to eat any of it and a good boil wont do anything to remove some fungal or bacterial toxins although it will kill the organism (sometimes).

aspergillus is a known killer (my spell check wanted that to be "paper-girls is a known killer" Laughing )
Hairyloon

(my spell check wanted that to be "paper-girls is a known killer" Laughing )

You've certainly got to keep a careful lookout for them...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home