Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
sean

Fancy owning your own mountain?

Yours for 1.75 million.

I wonder if you could get a mortgage on it?
Nick

Why not? It's only land, and it's going up in value. I got a mortgage (my first ever!) on a bit of land recently. What makes you think it might be difficult?
dpack

for that sort of cash i think i might want a small mountain poking out of the sea somewhere a bit warmer without sheep on it Laughing
sean

Why not? It's only land, and it's going up in value. I got a mortgage (my first ever!) on a bit of land recently. What makes you think it might be difficult?

Well in my case it represents a fairly gigantic multiplier of my annual earnings.
For other people I don't know, it just seemed a bit non-standard as a thing to borrow against.
OtleyLad

Damn and I just went and spent this month's pocket money Crying or Very sad

Just about any part of the Lakes would be worth it (maybe I'll get a lottery ticket this week). I reckon its the most beautiful part of England.
Nick

Well in my case it represents a fairly gigantic multiplier of my annual earnings.
For other people I don't know, it just seemed a bit non-standard as a thing to borrow against.

Only because it's being billed as a mountain. It's just land, when viewed financially. It would be a stretch for me, too.

Want to go halves?
earthyvirgo

Blimey - wouldn't mind!

Cracking scramble to the top via Sharp Edge - bit like Crib Goch but without the utter fear and tears.

EV
Hairyloon

It was on Countryfile this week. As the chap selling it said: what's it matter who owns it? We've all still got the right to climb all over it.

If it is important who owns it, then maybe crowdsource the money?
wellington womble

That's a nice idea. Bit of a big fundraising effort, though. Rob R

Good on the chap selling it, not the usual aristo/money story. Nick

I hear the locals are clubbing together to buy it, to stop a Russian oligarch from doing so. Hairyloon

I hear the locals are clubbing together to buy it, to stop a Russian oligarch from doing so.
Good luck to them. How wide are they casting "local"?
Nick

No idea, was just chatter on 6music as I drove home.

Not sure how much it matters, as you can walk on it, whoever owns it.
Nick

To be honest, mountains are last week.

Villages. On the other hand...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27521470
Hairyloon

Sounds like a bargain. Nick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-28164745

Sold, not to the locals.
Rob R

I wonder why this got such high community backing and Flixton Island has had virtually none at a quarter of the price. It's much more useful than a mountain. Confused Hairyloon

Maybe just a better organised community. Rob R

Or perhaps mountains are more evocative than flat marshy bits of ground. Nick

Maybe just a better organised community.

Yorkshire folk talk the talk, but won't come up with the cash, whilst Cumbrians just get on and get the job done?
Hairyloon

Yorkshire folk talk the talk, but won't come up with the cash, whilst Cumbrians just get on and get the job done?
You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Hairyloon

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home