Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Penpethickfarm

Farm Diversification - Paranormal Weekends Offered

Hi everyone I have long been interested in the paranormal and know quite a few people who share my interest. I have decided to diversify and organise paranormal weekends with the help of a local professional paranormal investigation team and a local professional tour provider. Feedback gratefully received.

The details of what we have to offer is shown below (website coming soon)

Spirits of Cornwall
A Paranormal Holiday to Remember

Join us Friday to Monday come rain or shine for a weekend of entertainment

Our Paranormal Weekend Break offers a program of events that will be both spiritually enlightening, exciting, interesting and memorable. You will stay in comfortable self catering accommodation in beautiful surroundings near to the historic hamlets of Tintagel and Boscastle. Every day of your stay will offer you a different experience.

Our Paranormal Weekend Break is as follows:

Friday from 4pm - Welcome to your accommodation

7pm-10pm (amount of time depending on guest numbers) An evening session with our resident local reiki master/crystal healer. Experience a chakra and aura flush to release your bodies negativity, followed by a balance and re-energize of your bodies systems. A combination of crystal healing and several reiki styles tailor made to suit your needs

Saturday 9.30am—3pm A local adventure visiting places of historical and spiritual meaning such as visiting a number of sacred and historic sites in the North Cornwall area. A flexible itinerary will be likely to include, standing stones, ancient burials, Tintagel Castle (not full tour of castle), St Nectan's Glen Waterfall, Bronze Age monuments, a stone circle, and other sacred and historic sites. Good walking shoes/boots are recommended. Waterproofs may be borrowed free of charge. All inclusive entrance fees, transport, tea/coffee break & light lunch Inc. Tour provided by Cornish Heritage Safaris

9pm—2am A paranormal night: Spend the night at a haunted venue with a local professional paranormal investigation team. The opportunity to participate in:
table tipping
talking boards
victorian seance techniques
psychic development techniques and the use of investigation equipment.
All allowing for the experience of connecting with spirit.
Torches, good footware and warm clothing advised. Cameras a must.

Sunday morning — Lay-in & free day

6pm-8pm (amount of time depending on guest numbers) Guest Speaker - Spiritual Workshop/Psychic Development

Monday - Time to reflect on your weekend and travel home

Min Group of 4 Adults = £275.00 each
(We can take a group of up to 6 adults)
Terms and conditions apply
Nick

Very first comment would be that it means taking Monday off work, which may be an issue for people. Bring the Sunday talk forward, and make staying Sunday pm optional?

You're excluding, for example, all school teachers during term time.
chez

I think that sounds like a *fantastic* diversification, brilliant!

My only concern is how do you screen for vulnerable people before doing the psychic development stuff? In my experience, some people drawn to this sort of thing can be suffering from mental health issues and it's not great for them. I know that the College of Psychic Studies in Kensington requires people to come for an interview before they sign up for courses, to establish their suitability. Could you do something like that?
Penpethickfarm

Yes thank you Nick that makes sense. I'm trying to set up a website, what a headache
Penpethickfarm

Hi Chez, the company that offer the paranormal side of things are highly professional thank goodness as I had similar concerns to you. There are terms and conditions when booking inc profiles and disclaimers to complete. I think because the min group is 4 it is hoped that this will help to make the stay an enjoyable entertaining event
chez

Sounds good, then. I'm a bit paranoid about it - I got very sick in my mid-twenties due to not being cautious enough who I did rescue work with.

I agree with Nick re the long weekend thing, btw. You could possibly start people off on Thursday night - easier for people to leave an hour or so early on the Thursday and have Friday off than a Friday and a Monday.
Nick

If people can get time off, I wouldn't stop offering it to them, but make it an extra.
Mr O

Paranormal sounds madder than a bucket of frogs to me. Each to their own I guess.
Penpethickfarm

It sounds as though you have much more experience than me but I have carried out lots of research to ensure that everyone has a good time. I am hoping it will be very popular
chez

Paranormal sounds madder than a bucket of frogs to me. Each to their own I guess.

It's a good smallholding diversification though, if you can make it interesting enough - and walk the woo-woo line successfully. I bet it does well.
Penpethickfarm

Mr O that's why I am hoping it works!
chez

Where are you advertising?
Penpethickfarm

I really don't know where to advertise and came firstly to the place I know to see if I could find some support

I have listed on eBay about 1hr ago and 9 people have looked. I am hoping to spread the word and get suggestions
Rob R

I guess you need to be in paranormal circles Twitter? Google+?

This kind of thing was on Country House Rescue - see if you can find it on 4od

ETA- found it; http://www.channel4.com/programmes/country-house-rescue/4od#3242711

http://www.plasteg.com/
Nick

It is, but that doesn't mean it's not a good business idea.
Mr O

It is, but that doesn't mean it's not a good business idea.

Agreed.
Penpethickfarm

wow Plas Teg is very grand. We are no where near this scale but its something I could aspire to if this works Very Happy

the peoplefund.it site is brilliant thank you
chez

Kindred Spirit used to be the magazine of choice for this kind of thing. I have no idea how much it costs to advertise in it, though http://www.kindredspirit.co.uk/ Rob R

wow Plas Teg is very grand. We are no where near this scale but its something I could aspire to if this works Very Happy

If it's the episode I am thinking of there might be some good pointers in there. It certainly seemed lucrative & a bigger market than you would think.

If you've got any tips on crowdfunding, send them this way...
chez

I agree with Rob re twitter, btw. You just need to get linked in to the right sort of people. Penpethickfarm

Kindred Spirit is very interesting and seems very reasonable for a small ad so thank you for this. In respect of Plas Teg I may contact them tomorrow and ask for their advise. Nothing ventured nothing gained oldish chris

Paranormal sounds madder than a bucket of frogs to me. Each to their own I guess. Mind you, when you're dead, you get in for free Wink Penpethickfarm

LOL yes thats very true arvo

There is another mag that advertises to the woo-crowd at our acupucturists. I'll check next time I'm there.

Worth checking the prices of a small newspaper ad. On the same page/facing page of the horoscopes in the Sun? Mail? Express? Mirror?
Penpethickfarm

Thank you. I have just spent nearly 40mins setting up my Twitter a/c and just setting up a new Facebook page Pel

The british dowsing society Linky may be a good place, there are a lot from the meet ups that like that sort of thing.
Maybe also the Leyline people too, perhaps email the secretary to see if they think people would be interested. Ley linky

I was going to say try the earth energy group, but it seems they are a sub group of the British Dowsing society.
Penpethickfarm

brilliant thank you oldish chris

Is it just me? Is it ethical to sell utter claptrap to the gullible? Bit like selling Payment Protection Insurance to the self-employed IMHO. jamanda

Is it just me? Is it ethical to sell utter claptrap to the gullible? .

You're not going to sell it to anyone else.
chez

Oooh, popcorn, anyone? happy1 Rob R

Is it just me? Is it ethical to sell utter claptrap to the gullible? Bit like selling Payment Protection Insurance to the self-employed IMHO.

Well, if people aren't going to pay enough to enable you to make a living producing the 'essentials' (ie food) from a farm, then what is wrong with selling them what they do want to buy?

'Utter claptrap' could easily be applied to all sport, art, fictional TV & fictional literature.
Rob R

Oh, and tourism, I forgot to mention tourism. chez

This IS tourism. Just with dead people. Rob R

This IS tourism. Just with dead people.

Yeah, but I imagine chris has been on holiday at some point, I doubt he's ever been on a 'paranormal experience' holiday, but I could be wrong.
chez

I would go for 'no', too, if forced to vote Smile oldish chris

This IS tourism. Just with dead people.

Yeah, but I imagine chris has been on holiday at some point, I doubt he's ever been on a 'paranormal experience' holiday, but I could be wrong. You could be wrong. However, I've never had any kind of paranormal experience anywhere, other than a ride on the Ghost Train at Gt. Yarmouth in 1965. I've been on a couple of Permaculture weekends. Imagine that, a few days experience with real live living people, learning to be at one with the living world. (I nearly came out a better person)

I have looked a Mummies in a museum - not one of them even had the decency to say hello!
Penpethickfarm

I came up with the idea after paying £25 to see Sally Morgan (a physic) in a show at Plymouth. The place was packed out, no spare seats to be seen for a show that lasted just over 2 hrs. The brain started working and thinking how could this work as a farm diversification and that's when I arrived at the Paranormal Weekends. Its a bit like a ghost train ride, some thrills, some anticipation, some adrenalin and then the realisation that actually you have had a great time. So far the feedback has been excellent so thank you. Penpethickfarm

Here is the listing number of the Paranormal Weekend on eBay 251093923262
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home