Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
chez

Farmer's market website

So. You are browsing the Information Superhighway looking for farmer's markets in your local area. What do you want from their website?
jamanda

When it is, where it is, and a list of stall holders.
gil

And some means of viewing / accessing the policies of the various markets. - perhaps the market's website.

Because some markets allow stallholders in who don't actually produce what they sell, or who aren't local (and there may be good reasons for that), etc etc.
Effie

Off the top of my head:

'Bout parking arrangements. (Or lack of...)
Wheelchair accessibility.
Seasonal extra stuff - Christmas crafts and whatnot.
chez

Scary photos of grinning primary producers? Or their products?

Links to their websites? Or not bothered?

Newsletter, about what's going on with the market?

Terms and conditions for traders?

ETA: Oooooooh, crossposted!
joanne

Yes to links to their own sites - nothing worse than not being able to track down nice products after you've scoffed them and then lost the wrapper or business card
gil

Newsletter, about what's going on with the market?

Terms and conditions for traders?

Both of those, but T&Cs deffo, and how prospective traders could get in touch (and whether there is a waiting list 1000 years long so no chance of ever getting a stall)
Calli

If aimed at stall holders then a possible indication of footfall?
gz

Have a look at farmers' markets in wales
http://www.fmiw.co.uk/?function=
12Bore

Times
List of products/services available
List of stallholders
Stallholders contact details (if I like something I may well want to buy again before the next market)
Links to stallholder's websites
Details of parking/bus routes
Contact point/details for organiser

ETA Report from previous markets
Rob R

Yes to links to their own sites - nothing worse than not being able to track down nice products after you've scoffed them and then lost the wrapper or business card

And preferably a map of where their stall was - when there are two very similar stalls and you can't remember which one it was, location can sometimes help. Embarassed
Bodger

I think i'm right in saying that you've all missed the most important factor. The price of a pitch. thumbup markjadams

Heres one I made earlier for a market I trade at, it is aimed at the customers and not the traders.

www.valefarmersmarket.co.uk

Any opinions?

Mark.
gz

I haven't checked before asking, but do you have a page on the fmiw website to? chez

I've roughed mine out and I'm doing a bit more content-capture tomorrow. Cat-herding doesn't even begin to describe it. vegplot

I've roughed mine out and I'm doing a bit more content-capture tomorrow. Cat-herding doesn't even begin to describe it.

Scrivener is very good for this I find.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/scrivener-for-linux-gets-official-beta-release/
chez

Ah, you are making the assumption that the people I am capturing content from are able to use a computer to email me information Wink.

I am printing out forms for them to fill in long-hand and hand back to me.
chez

I have managed to get some information together and have got the website live. I'd appreciate comments and feedback of both a general and specific nature if anyone has the time.

I am encouraging people towards a facebook page that can be updated by various different people and which will both appear on the front page of the website and ping twitter.

http://mineheadfarmersmarket.co.uk/
marigold

I'll have nit-picky look later if I have time, but full marks for putting a link to the location in the first paragraph Very Happy . Nitpick: the pin is located in Park St not The Parade when you go to the map...

I like the colours - it looks clean, fresh and is easy to navigate.
chez

Ooooh, that's post-code GIS systems for you. Thank you. I will jiggle it over a bit. ros

I think it looks great! my only nit-pick would be that you say

Quote:
have a wide variety of traders that come weekly or who take turns to come fortnightly.

but I can't tell whether the traders who have details are there every week or fortnightly

and Quantock kitchen expect oranges when I think she means except Very Happy
marigold

Nitpickery (in no particular order and mostly just my opinion, so feel free to ignore what you disagree with Very Happy):

“Phone” rather than “Phone No”? Personally I don’t think colons are necessary (bold/not bold is enough).
Format all phone nos in the same way?

Space needed before venison farm website link.

am and pm rather than AM and PM?

What we sell box – not all stalls sell food, maybe “local produce” would be a better word in the intro? Or add something that makes it clear that it’s not just food.

Can you make the header image a bit brighter?

“We would like to think that we offer” –> “We offer” ?

You could say “At present we have an average of ten stallholders…….. and plan to expand to include other producers in the coming months – click to receive updates” (if you CBA to maintain a mailing list)

Links to other pages at foot of each page would be nice.

Visually I think I’d prefer to see the top of the links and images inset into the “stalls” page intro and vendor boxes lined up with the first line of text rather than the section header.

Info for traders page : change “We have an average of ten...” to “At present we have ten…” (so it doesn’t look as if it’s only ever going to be 10 stalls).

“£25 per pitch per session.” ? Just so it’s blindingly obvious.

“Traders must hold” rather than “need to”?

As I said, it looks great - wish our local FM's had similar websites.
gythagirl

It looks great, Chez! Very readable and clear.

However...I really think it should be Farmers' Market, NOT Farmer's, as you have clearly demonstrated that there is more than one farmer in Minehead Smile

And whilst on the subject of apostrophes, you have an it's which should be its, as in "its size". Sorry - I have a thing about apostrophes!
chez

Thanks everyone, I will get on to these over the weekend - we have Inlaws tonight. And there is wine. 12Bore

It looks great, Chez! Very readable and clear.

However...I really think it should be Farmers' Market, NOT Farmer's, as you have clearly demonstrated that there is more than one farmer in Minehead Smile

And whilst on the subject of apostrophes, you have an it's which should be its, as in "its size". Sorry - I have a thing about apostrophes!
Agreed, looks good (especially the photos).
Barefoot Andrew

I keep thinking this is about Farmers Market Wink
A.
chez

I keep thinking this is about Farmers Market Wink
A.

Genius Laughing
Kenworth

I have managed to get some information together and have got the website live. I'd appreciate comments and feedback of both a general and specific nature if anyone has the time.

I am encouraging people towards a facebook page that can be updated by various different people and which will both appear on the front page of the website and ping twitter.

http://mineheadfarmersmarket.co.uk/

Maybe a few pictures of your lovely birds or their eggs?
chez

I don't want to push my stuff over other people's stuff - so it's one photo per trader at the moment, to even things out. I want to make it simple enough for someone else to update if I drop dead! gythagirl

Quote:
simple enough for someone else to update if I drop dead!

Well aren't you Mrs-Glass-Half-Empty Rolling Eyes Laughing
vegplot

Small suggestion. Put the contact info in the header of each page for easy access even if just the phone number. chez

Thanks, VP, will do. Mistress Rose

Looks good. As someone said, unless all the traders are there every week, it might be a good idea to let people know when they are there, like , first week of month only etc.

Wish we were close to you as we would come once a month.
Nick

Why would I go to a farmers' market?

I know you'll want to avoid the politics and ranting, but it might not hurt to explain that money spent there, stays in Taunton, and doesn't vanish out of the area.

http://www.newrules.org/retail/midcoaststudy.pdf

is a great US study, and I can't find a UK one, but they exist. And, to be even more vague, some London bint moved to Taunton, or Devon, and wrote a book about running a pig farm with kitchen garden, and why Tesco are the spawn of Satan. And someone on here will know *exactly* the book I mean.

Do I mean Rosie's Farm?

ETA. I don't. Can't find it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/15_02_06_highstreet.pdf shows the good, the bad and the ugly.
sean

One of Rosie Boycott's? Nick

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Our-Farm-Year-Life-Smallholding/dp/074758897X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320057378&sr=8-3

Yep. Excellent book. Thanks.
chez

She's the woman who Gardening Girl and BTL took over the Dillington walled garden from, because the animals were kept in such a state ... indiscriminate breeding, all that sort of thing. yummersetter

Allegedly Wink chez

Ooops. Yes. Allegedly. misty07

Our traders come from with thirty miles of Minehead .
is that WITH-IN thirty miles?
I grow nearly all my ingredients, expect Seville Oranges, which despite global warming.
EXCEPT seville oranges?. sorry i know im one to talk on grammer etc as im crap at it. also is there a way you could add a piece to get kind of reviews on each stallholder? only from that market sort of review?
chez

Don't apologise, I really appreciate people taking the time to look.

Do you mean, get customers to write nice things?
Nick

She's the woman who Gardening Girl and BTL took over the Dillington walled garden from, because the animals were kept in such a state ... indiscriminate breeding, all that sort of thing.

I have no idea. However, in the book, she does cover the research about supermarkets draining local economies, and local suppliers recirculating it back in. *That's* the bit that might be useful, or interesting, although I admit it may be more than you wish to highlight.
mark

I don't know if I am the only one - but I find the back ground colour of the site (the bit at the sides) makes the text difficult to read for me. My eyes don't seem able to stay on the line of text comfortably - as they get pulled over to the side.

It isn't so bad and quite acceptable on a smaller screen where the side margins are smaller and teh colour not so dominant but on my large screen the large expanse of this very strong colour it doesn't work well and distracts from the site

If you have access to a big high res screen have a look and see if you agree.

Maybe its just me - but I thought I'd offer the feedback just in case it isn't!
misty07

Do you mean, get customers to write nice things?
yes totally like kind of maybe click on a supplier and then you will be able to see the comments on that stall obviously if there was ever any nasties you could delete etc
chez

She's the woman who Gardening Girl and BTL took over the Dillington walled garden from, because the animals were kept in such a state ... indiscriminate breeding, all that sort of thing.

I have no idea. However, in the book, she does cover the research about supermarkets draining local economies, and local suppliers recirculating it back in. *That's* the bit that might be useful, or interesting, although I admit it may be more than you wish to highlight.

Right-ho, thanks, I will have a look.

I want to get the town council on board publicising the website - we have a meeting with them in a couple of weeks - and that is the kind of thing that they will probably find attractive. Given that they rent us the stalls Wink

@Mark, okay, thanks, I'll check that.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home